• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

PSA Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Stings and Allergies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted August 19 2022 - 7:26 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
I feel this topic should probably be put out there with Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colonies being bought and sold at a very high rate recently. I've noticed alot of sellers have their venom and sting listed as "tolerable" or "light." This is only true about the pain. But it is not true for the venom. I have been stung by wasps and honey bees which both will kill me without medical help. However I've been stung by Solenopsis invicta (Fire Ants) with little to no issue and no medical help needed. But according to multiple sources pogonomyrmex occidentalis and pogonomyrmex rugosus are some of the most toxic venom stings in the insect world. I found this out when I get stung in my neck a short while ago. Their venom is comparable to a wasp. It could of killed me but thank the lord above for epi pens. I am very allergic and alot of other individuals are as well. I originally thought it was comparable to fire ants, but as my body showed they are not even in the same ball park. Some may find this post dramatic, but to those of us that have severe allergic reactions, a simple sting can be a death sentence if we are too far from a medical institution.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 19 2022 - 8:01 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I can say Pogonomyrmex rugosus is absolutely no joke. I am not allergic in anyways and I can’t even begin to think of how it could effect someone. From my personal experience the first hour consisted of a hot searing pain like a red hot screwdriver being shoved into your skin. Then after that for the next hour and a half I felt waves of heat and a needle like sensation at the center of the stings. It is a pain I will not forget and a pain I hope to not experience for atleast another 365 days.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 20 2022 - 5:37 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
While pogonomyrmex have extremely toxic venom, the thing is that they only inject a tiny amount with each sting and so the average person will be fine. It would definitely be a problem if you have allergies though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users