• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need help with fruit flies escaping

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntGirl - Posted August 8 2022 - 8:38 PM

AntGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I find it difficult to open my container of fruit flies without letting lots of them escape.  I tried purchasing fruit flies from Josh's Frogs (on Amazon) because I thought the cylinder shape would be better, but they arrived dead.  The only containers I can find in my area (at Petco) are quite wide, which allows them to escape when opened. Any suggestions?

#2 Offline jayhautz - Posted August 8 2022 - 8:41 PM

jayhautz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I find it difficult to open my container of fruit flies without letting lots of them escape. I tried purchasing fruit flies from Josh's Frogs (on Amazon) because I thought the cylinder shape would be better, but they arrived dead. The only containers I can find in my area (at Petco) are quite wide, which allows them to escape when opened. Any suggestions?

tap the container on the ground before you open it so they all fall to the bottom. If this doesn’t give you enough time you could try to fashion a lid with a small hole on it that you can plug so you don’t have to take the top off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Offline madbiologist - Posted August 9 2022 - 10:00 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I continuously tap the container on the table whenever I have it open to take flies out, definitely an effective way to keep them inside.

#4 Offline aznphenom - Posted August 9 2022 - 11:12 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I fridge them to sleep. use a funnel to funnel the amount I need into a test-tube. then i constantly shake that tube to keep them in. They have terrible grip so it takes very little force to make them fall down.

• FinWins likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users