• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My tetramorium colony disappeared

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted August 8 2022 - 6:39 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

So I had just gone on a 4 day trip to Philly, and I came back only to find that my entire tetramorium colony had disappeared. They were doing so well and growing very quickly. They were still small enough to fit in their test tube and I had the test tube attached to a AntsCanada test tube portal. No exits were left open and I'm so confused as to what happened. I'm pretty bummed out as they were a very good colony. Any ideas as to what happened?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 8 2022 - 6:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
AC products are trash. Many people have had colonies chew holes big enough to escape.
  • smares and TacticalHandleGaming like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted August 8 2022 - 6:57 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Wow, well I guess I'll just have to try again in the spring. 

#4 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted August 8 2022 - 7:00 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Do you have any suggestions on better formicariums? I just don't get how they managed to get all the workers, brood, and the queen out a hole I can't even find, and then move somewhere into my house.

#5 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 8 2022 - 7:09 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationOregon

If you are using the AC plugs, they likely chewed through those. As they are known for that. Most people stuff the plugs with cotton too because of this. 

I'd recommend a normal test tube, and then a Tarheelants formicarium built specifically for tiny/small species ants. 

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, August 8 2022 - 7:09 AM.

• antsriondel likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#6 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted August 8 2022 - 7:10 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I used cotton to seal up the holes.

#7 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 8 2022 - 8:16 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationOregon

Obviously they got out somehow. Are you sure they didn't chew their way out somehow? 

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, August 8 2022 - 8:16 AM.

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted August 8 2022 - 9:17 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The portal with all its holes and plugs is one massive weakpoint (especially the part where the tube gets attached to the portal) and it's not even that useful in the long run because once your colony goes beyond a few hundred workers you can't take off the lid to feed them anymore anyway.

You don't need the portal. Just get a normal outworld and put the tube into it.

Edited by Serafine, August 8 2022 - 9:18 AM.

• ANTdrew and FloridaAnts like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 8 2022 - 9:33 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Obviously they got out somehow. Are you sure they didn't chew their way out somehow? 

If ants are determined enough, they are very capable of chewing through cotton.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users