• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worker Ant ID (Westminster, Colorado, US) (2015-07-19)

Best Answer Gregory2455 , July 19 2015 - 9:35 PM

Dorymyrmex insanus.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Telarian - Posted July 19 2015 - 9:28 PM

Telarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWestminster, CO, US
Hello again,

So, I have absolutely no idea what this is. We've been spending time walking around looking at ants and the Pogonomyrmex mounds always stand out. But then there are often a small mound on the edge of the Pogonomyrmex clearing with these little ants. They seem to get along with the Pogonomyrmex alright, so it just makes me wonder what they are. Thus, I find myself back here.

FIRST-Where collected? United States in Broomfield, Colorado (a suburb of Denver).

SECOND-Habitat of collection? On a small dirt mound nest on the edge of a Pogonomyrmex clearing.

THIRD-Coloration, hue and pattern? Without magnification they look black except a bit lighter on the head. Under magnification, they are a dark brown throughout except much lighter at the joints and on the mandibles. They are pretty uniformly shiny and smooth.

FOURTH-Distinguishing characteristics? They have what looks to me like a single tall segment in the waist which tilts forward. Head longer than it is wide, Medium size eyes forward of center and toward the outside, but on top of the head, not breaking the silhouette of the head. I believe there are eleven segments in the antenna although I always have a hard time counting. No hairs that I can appreciate.

FIFTH-Length in millimeters? We gathered two specimens. One is 4 mm the other is 5 mm.

SIXTH-Anything else distinctive? Decent climber. Fast gait.

Thanks as always for your assistance.

Tory Netherton

#2 Offline Telarian - Posted July 19 2015 - 9:29 PM

Telarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Sorry about the quality of some of the images. I tried a new method of containing them for pictures and it didn't work out all that well.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 19 2015 - 9:35 PM   Best Answer

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Dorymyrmex insanus.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 23 2015 - 2:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Where these measured with a ruler?

#5 Offline Telarian - Posted July 23 2015 - 8:05 PM

Telarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Indeed they were Drew.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 24 2015 - 7:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hmmm. I have never seen a 5 mm Dorymyrmex insanus.

#7 Offline Telarian - Posted July 24 2015 - 4:47 PM

Telarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
You would expect smaller?

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 26 2015 - 10:48 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Inland D.insanus always seem to be larger than our coastal ones. :thinking:

Edited by Gregory2455, July 26 2015 - 10:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users