• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The depressing world of gel farm Amazon reviews

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 30 2022 - 11:04 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've recently read a very interesting study about recursive controlling behaviour in social insects.

Basically social insects like bees, wasps and ants do not only just need to know which task they have to do at a given time, they also need to know how good they are at a given task.

Not all insects in a colony are equal, in fact they often are very different. Some are more bold, some are better carriers than others, some excel at navigation in complex environments, some are better at rearing brood or regulating nest temperature.

An ant with poor navigation wandering off into the great unknown might not find back home and become a dead ant very quickly. Not bad if it happens once but if it's a regular thing that's a problem.

The study concluded eusocial insect workers do in fact have a pretty good idea about their strengths and weaknesses and so far scientists have no idea how they're doing it.

They must have either some form of self-awareness that requires very advanced neural processing or they have a very sophisticated trick we have not even begun to understand.

Do you have a link to the study? I'd like to read it.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#22 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 30 2022 - 11:29 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I've recently read a very interesting study about recursive controlling behaviour in social insects.
Basically social insects like bees, wasps and ants do not only just need to know which task they have to do at a given time, they also need to know how good they are at a given task.

Not all insects in a colony are equal, in fact they often are very different. Some are more bold, some are better carriers than others, some excel at navigation in complex environments, some are better at rearing brood or regulating nest temperature.
An ant with poor navigation wandering off into the great unknown might not find back home and become a dead ant very quickly. Not bad if it happens once but if it's a regular thing that's a problem.

The study concluded eusocial insect workers do in fact have a pretty good idea about their strengths and weaknesses and so far scientists have no idea how they're doing it.
They must have either some form of self-awareness that requires very advanced neural processing or they have a very sophisticated trick we have not even begun to understand.

It’s not exactly the same but…

The book “Ants at Work” by Deborah Gordon also presents something like this. An ant can remember how many encounters it has with another colony, and that’s how it chooses its job. It’s very interesting to read about. If a worker cannot find food in P. Barbatus, the ant will eventually “retire” from foraging an move to a task it is better at. If it continues to forage, it would be wasting valuable energy for the colony. If I am remembering correctly, it then moves on to nest work. If I actually didn’t read for long periods of time I would remember, but it is very complicated.
  • futurebird likes this

#23 Offline futurebird - Posted July 30 2022 - 12:02 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

"Ants at Work" is an excellent book. Especially if you keep Pogonomyrmex or mesor or any other "harvester" type of ant.

• FloridaAnts likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#24 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 30 2022 - 12:16 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Most people who get gel ant farms aren't going to want to have a 5-30 year commitment to some ant colony. I bet you that if gel farms with just workers were taken off the market you'd see a bunch of people who get colonies, are unprepared/get bored, and release them into the wild on a scale way larger than what is happening now. 

• OiledOlives likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#25 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 30 2022 - 1:34 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Most people who get gel ant farms aren't going to want to have a 5-30 year commitment to some ant colony. I bet you that if gel farms with just workers were taken off the market you'd see a bunch of people who get colonies, are unprepared/get bored, and release them into the wild on a scale way larger than what is happening now.

Well, many people don’t care if they kill an ant, much less a whole colony. I think a lot may just stick them in the freezer, or some other way of killing them. It is sad, but true. People need large short lived ants… but you are definitely correct, they would release them. A solution is to send brood with the ants(But needs permits… ugh), that way they have a purpose

#26 Offline bmb1bee - Posted July 30 2022 - 3:44 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Well, many people don’t care if they kill an ant, much less a whole colony. I think a lot may just stick them in the freezer, or some other way of killing them. It is sad, but true. People need large short lived ants… but you are definitely correct, they would release them. A solution is to send brood with the ants(But needs permits… ugh), that way they have a purpose

I get your point, although I think I can see why they haven't allowed the transportation of brood yet. They'd have to consider what stage of brood to be transported, including eggs, larvae, and pupae. Why? Because there's no quick way of telling if the brood contains queen or male alates, which if released, may impact the environment in a way that we haven't really considered yet. You can really only 100% tell if it's a queen when it reaches the pupal stage, which by then would probably become a worker in less than a week, so it wouldn't make sense to send just pupae if they'll grow up into workers fairly quickly.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#27 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 30 2022 - 4:41 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I get your point, although I think I can see why they haven't allowed the transportation of brood yet. They'd have to consider what stage of brood to be transported, including eggs, larvae, and pupae. Why? Because there's no quick way of telling if the brood contains queen or male alates, which if released, may impact the environment in a way that we haven't really considered yet. You can really only 100% tell if it's a queen when it reaches the pupal stage, which by then would probably become a worker in less than a week, so it wouldn't make sense to send just pupae if they'll grow up into workers fairly quickly.

Before I actually kept a colony, I tried a simple little ant farm with Pogonomyrmex(It was digging). They developed a seed chamber and laid some eggs after realizing they had no point. And actually, they do send pupae. They send pupae and 10 workers. They lived a few months when Pogonomyrmex workers are supposed to live a year max.
  • bmb1bee likes this

#28 Offline bmb1bee - Posted July 30 2022 - 7:44 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Before I actually kept a colony, I tried a simple little ant farm with Pogonomyrmex(It was digging). They developed a seed chamber and laid some eggs after realizing they had no point. And actually, they do send pupae. They send pupae and 10 workers. They lived a few months when Pogonomyrmex workers are supposed to live a year max.

Really? The ones I got from Uncle Milton only had workers, not even pupae. They came in a plastic vial with a carrot, without any water, so a few died.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#29 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 31 2022 - 4:19 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Really? The ones I got from Uncle Milton only had workers, not even pupae. They came in a plastic vial with a carrot, without any water, so a few died.
. Most of the pupae was yellow or orange, but they still did come with it. Only 3 or 4 arrived dead if I am correct.

#30 Offline Serafine - Posted July 31 2022 - 6:29 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I stumbled over it by accident and just tried to find it but neither google nor google scholar were capable of finding it. Unfortunately i forgot the title of the study and apparently there is a MASSIVE amount of research done on self-controlling and recursive behavior that has nothing do with worker task choice at all.

• FloridaAnts likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#31 Offline bmb1bee - Posted July 31 2022 - 5:08 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
Most of the pupae was yellow or orange, but they still did come with it. Only 3 or 4 arrived dead if I am correct.

Probably because I live in Cali and they have way stricter laws.

Edited by bmb1bee, July 31 2022 - 5:08 PM.

• FloridaAnts likes this

#32 Offline Colony215998 - Posted August 1 2022 - 11:46 PM

Colony215998

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is it wrong to cut that tree down?

I'd say yes. Is it because it's conscious? Nah.

Technically speaking trees can react to outside stimuli and in groups like forests can communicate basic information via the root system, especially through mycelium. So one could make the argument that trees, and especially forests, are sentient or conscious as well. Humans are sapient on top of being sentient, which is a different thing entirely.

Is it wrong to cut that tree down?

I'd say yes. Is it because it's conscious? Nah.

Technically speaking trees can react to outside stimuli and in groups like forests can communicate basic information via the root system, especially through mycelium. So one could make the argument that trees, and especially forests, are sentient or conscious as well. Humans are sapient on top of being sentient, which is a different thing entirely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users