• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FinWins Pogonomyrmex Californicus Journal (Discontinued)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted July 20 2022 - 5:44 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I caught 8 Pogonomyrmex queens on June 25th at my local park from 7:00 to 7:30 pm. Once I got home however I quickly realized that I had two different species on my hands. The larger ones were P. californicus and the smaller ones I believe are P. magnacanthus. I put all four of my P. cf magnacanthus together in one test tube and my four P. californicus in two test tubes of two queens each.

Edited by FinWins, June 16 2023 - 5:24 PM.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 20 2022 - 7:50 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Can you post some photos?

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted July 20 2022 - 8:10 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Here are some photos from today
This is a pic of the smaller species EDIT: (P. magnacanthus)
4E5D8D89-23A3-4C20-A00E-7441C5B4C7F8.jpeg
This is a pic of P. californicus
56CAD3F5-2F15-4408-8602-34B7970F31D9.jpeg

Edited by FinWins, July 26 2022 - 12:33 PM.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#4 Offline FinWins - Posted July 26 2022 - 12:14 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
So I’ve decided to open up a different thread for P. magnacanthus and to make this one only on the P. californicus

#5 Offline FinWins - Posted July 26 2022 - 1:16 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
One pair of queens now has lots of eggs and a small larvae.

#6 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 26 2022 - 1:40 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
Those are subniditus

#7 Offline FinWins - Posted July 26 2022 - 1:56 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Those are subniditus

Which one the californicus or the magnacanthus?

#8 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 26 2022 - 3:23 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
The “californicus” are likely subnitidus and the “magnacanthus” are probably in the californicus group (but that is just speculation). What I 100 percent know is that you don’t have any magnacanthus

#9 Offline FinWins - Posted July 26 2022 - 3:45 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

The “californicus” are likely subnitidus and the “magnacanthus” are probably in the californicus group (but that is just speculation). What I 100 percent know is that you don’t have any magnacanthus

No they are definitely californicus because they are slightly bicolored it’s hard to see in the picture but in real life it’s obvious I’ll try to get better pics. As for the matter of magnacanthus, I know that they are magnacanthus because they are only five millimeters long and they don’t have a spike on their back they are also MUCH thinner then the P. californicus. I don’t know of any other Pogonomyrmex that is that small.

#10 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 27 2022 - 2:03 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationCalif.

If your P. californicus have spines then they quite simply are P. subnitidus. A species that is five millimeters is the "costal" P. californicus. The people who have commented on your posts about these are all experienced with these mentioned species.

#11 Offline FinWins - Posted July 27 2022 - 2:21 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
So are the costal all red P. californicus way smaller then the dessert variant because I caught the bi color variety at the same place and it is much bigger. Also the place I caught them at has all red Pogonomyrmex workers running around however they are larger then the queens of the mystery species I caught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users