• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Stealing pupae tips?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted July 22 2022 - 8:46 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I have a very large Lasius neoniger colony. I also recently caught a Lasius aphidicola parasitic queen. I was able to use two workers and some pupae I collected (with minimal disruption) from another much larger Lasius aphidicola colony I found under a rock to get her set up with a worker who now seems to like her and some pupae. The guide here was a big help. I made a video about my process. 

However, after the long hot trip back from upstate NY I'm concerned that the pupae are too wet and might not be good. The queen and the worker are fine and groom each other and tend to the pupae a little, but not with the level of interest that makes me think they are still alive. So, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "how could I steal some pupae from my Lasius neoniger colony?"

History of the neoniger colony:

They have heaps and heaps of them... but they are not easy to access. Their nest is plaster with a small entrance and magnetic glass top. The top is very hard to slide, and really they are doing so well I hate to bother them. Maybe I'll go hunting in the park if the wet pupae don't mature...

But then I wondered if there was some way to get the pupae out of the nest with minimal disruption. When they were over crowded they would bring a few to the outworld... Maybe I could attach a tiny little "annex" nest and see if they would move some of their pupae in there... then chill and rob the small nest?

• That_one_ant_guy likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted July 22 2022 - 8:49 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hmmm maybe you could put a heating cable in the outworld, and since heat speeds up the pupating process they'll put them there?
  • futurebird likes this

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 22 2022 - 11:23 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Better yet, attach a test tube to the nest with tubing and put a heating cable under that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users