• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus castaneus-AntBoi3030

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 23 2021 - 11:20 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I caught this queen in early June at a blacklight, unfortunately she was the only one to survive out of five I suspect the others were infertile. She looks to be close to workers so I fixed to start to is journal. I also love this spices because of their size (all my ants are tiny lol).

Attached Images

• 36A491F9-6A90-4F1F-A50C-940B13D8B59F.png

Edited by AntBoi3030, December 30 2021 - 9:10 AM.

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and futurebird like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2021 - 11:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That poor girl needs some fried chicken and donuts!
  • Antkeeper01, ZTYguy, AntBoi3030 and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 23 2021 - 5:55 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Unfortunately I’ll be gone for two week :( I hope she’ll be okay
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#4 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 26 2021 - 2:23 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Update:
Yes I forgot about this journal, no they aren’t dead. They’re actually doing really well. Well enough that I moved them out of their test tube into AntsMaryland’s homemade formicaruim that are the exact same as Tar Heel ants. I just dumped the whole colony into the outworld a and used a wet pice of cotton to collect the eggs that were stuck to the tube. They moved in within twenty minutes, super easy.

Attached Images

• 2AE2CF87-5297-4A93-A3DA-5031D1CF3E6E.jpeg

Edited by AntBoi3030, August 26 2021 - 3:28 PM.

• AntsMaryland, ANTdrew, futurebird and 2 others like this

#5 Offline tdlnx - Posted August 27 2021 - 10:16 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
I recently started a colony of these as well, they have been fun. They don’t seem to grow very quickly but I’m not complaining that just means I can wait longer before moving them.
  • Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and futurebird like this

#6 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted December 30 2021 - 9:15 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
The queen died a month ago…I’ve kinda been in denial about it. Sense they were doing so well It was pretty sad (they had 20+ workers :(). Fortunately I have a colony of camponotus castaneus that have six workers and about a dozen small larvae. They are currently in diapause until March. I’ve decided to make this journal about them.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 30 2021 - 9:54 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

The queen died a month ago…I’ve kinda been in denial about it. Sense they were doing so well It was pretty sad (they had 20+ workers :(). Fortunately I have a colony of camponotus castaneus that have six workers and about a dozen small larvae. They are currently in diapause until March. I’ve decided to make this journal about them.

that sucks (n)

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#8 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted March 21 2022 - 3:19 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Update 3-21-22:
I took this colony out of diapause about a month ago. I’ve been feeding the regularly and those small larvae have developed nicely into around eight cocoons :). After one cocoon enclosed I found it harder to feed them inside their test tube and I moved them into a mini hearth. I’ve got to say they look super cool inside it and I can’t wait for all their cocoons to enclose.

Attached Images

• 4B145855-05D9-43B6-AF78-DAC2F81431E8.jpeg

• ANTdrew, ZTYguy, m99 and 1 other like this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 21 2022 - 3:20 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cool photo.
  • FloridaAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted March 21 2022 - 4:03 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Thanks!
  • FloridaAnts likes this

#11 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 11 2022 - 10:21 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Update: 7-11-22:
It’s been a little while since I updated this. The colony has been growing pretty slowly but they have gained around a dozen workers. One thing that I noticed and found quite cool was that there are one or two larger workers right now. Although this colony is kind of boring right now I’m hoping that they will become more active in the coming months.

Attached Images

• FE167F88-FB2E-443B-9354-B8F62C726FEC.jpeg

• ANTdrew, FloridaAnts and Locness like this

#12 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 11 2022 - 11:48 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
I love that winged queen! I love winged queens, especially in beautiful species like this.
  • AntBoi3030 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users