• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Poly Solenopsis xyloni?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline yaboiseth - Posted September 23 2022 - 4:23 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

I was out looking for pheidole brood in a usual spot and I lifted a rock in a nearby area to find a massive Solenopsis xyloni colony but the weird thing was that there was at least 3 active queens in the nest. The colony was in the thousands, probably more, and had an abundance of brood so it was an old and healthy colony. But the thing is I don't recall any Solenopsis being poly so was what I saw just a pleo colony that hasnt killed off the queens despite being old or did I actually see a poly colony? I need to hear some of your thoughts.  :lol:

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 23 2022 - 4:33 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Some populations of xyloni are indeed polygynous, in particular the black variety from arizona. Never heard of any in cali though.

Edited by Manitobant, September 23 2022 - 4:34 PM.

#3 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 23 2022 - 4:50 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Can confirm that S. xyloni are poly in Tucson. They form what's called macrogynes and microgynes. Macrogynes are large xyloni queens that only tolerate one queen and microgynes are smaller xyloni queens that can have multiple queens.

#4 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted September 23 2022 - 9:18 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

That colony you found is definitely polygynous and there are other populations of poly S. xyloni in California

• OiledOlives likes this

#5 Offline yaboiseth - Posted September 24 2022 - 8:05 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

That colony you found is definitely polygynous and there are other populations of poly S. xyloni in California

So there is a slight possibility I could successfully keep a poly colony in captivity if its found in my area correct? I currently have a 10 queen colony that's getting pretty large but havent killed off a single queen.

#6 Offline FinWins - Posted September 25 2022 - 6:53 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I have a colony of poly S. xyloni all the other queen fought but one group is getting along fine with each other.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#7 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted September 25 2022 - 9:21 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I've had multiple colonies with 8-10 queens, and a couple hundred of workers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users