• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Becky's Lasius cf niger

lasius niger

22 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Becky - Posted August 9 2022 - 2:05 PM

Becky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Hello everybody,

yesterday I observed them caring for their brood - and they have a lot. (y)

Ants kissing! <3 :D

Over the night they put some substrate from the outworld into the tube, probably to support the larvae with spinning the cocoons. :thinking:

Another reason might be to cover the remnants of the sugar water they got earlier.

I'm looking for some ants. :seeking:

There! A little black spot! :pointing:

That's the first time I have seen a worker outside of the tube! :yes:

Edited by Becky, August 9 2022 - 2:08 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#22 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 9 2022 - 4:30 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
So cute!! Keep up the great work.
  • Becky likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. vicinus, C. us-ca02, C. clarithorax, C. yogi, C. sansabeanus, C. semitestaceus, C. laevigatus, M. mimicus, M. mexicanus, M. navajo, M. placodops 01, M. placodops 02, M. mendax, P. californicus, P. subniditus, P. rugosus, V. andrei, V. pergandei, V. stoddardi,  N. cockerelli, P. hyatti, P. desertorum, P. cerebrosior, P. californica, D. bicolor, C. sp cf6, C. sp na, S. “molesta”

GO CHECK OUT ANTSEMPORIUM HERE: https://antsemporium.com/

#23 Online AntsDakota - Posted August 9 2022 - 9:29 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I love Lasius niger. While our Lasius over here are quite cute and quirky imo, Lasius niger seems to have almost every advantage on them. They're faster growing, more aggressive, and seem to be a tougher and hardier species overall. Afterall, they naturally compete with Tetramorium for resources, so they have to be pretty resilient. 

• Becky likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius niger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users