• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted June 23 2022 - 4:08 AM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, South Carolina, USA

I’m writing this in hopes that someone has seen something similar.  I recently received two Camponotus nearcticus queens.  They both arrived healthy and looking good, and each had some cocoons, larvae and eggs.  When I went to label the test tubes yesterday, I noticed one that looked almost dead.  She was barely moving.  Closer inspection showed what looked like an egg stuck to several of the cocoons, but it was still attached to the queen internally.  It appeared that a strand of something continued from the pile of cocoons, which now all looked damaged, into the queens gaster.  Sort of like an umbilical cord to a placenta before the placenta is delivered.  I was able to cut the strand and separate her from the mass, but she succumbed overnight.  

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this in the past.  I’m looking to learn and maybe take something out of this.

I was able to rescue several larvae and eggs and give them to the other queen.  She readily accepted them, so that’s some good news.  Unfortunately I was too busy trying to figure out what was going on and didn’t take any pictures.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2022 - 4:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
C. nearcticus are very talented at suddenly dying for no apparent reason.
  • Tai_pan1 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline aznphenom - Posted June 23 2022 - 5:06 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

C. nearcticus are very talented at suddenly dying for no apparent reason.

That is my experience with most of my ants. But I can definitely concur for Camponotus because out of like two dozen queens that got workers in year 1. I only have 1 colony to survive through year 2.

• ANTdrew likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users