• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus queen wandering outside of tube, won't go in.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline buglover123 - Posted June 22 2022 - 4:05 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

I have a bunch of semitestaceus in the same setup, a clear plastic box with a test tube. They are in my room which has a lot of lights. They've been thriving and have had a lot of nanitics, However one Queen a few weeks ago started leaving the test tube and kept walking around and grooming herself. I put her container in a dark closet but she still died. 

Now this is happening with two more queens. For one I just put her in the test tube and closed it (so the colony is just in the test tube for now), for the other one I have added aluminum foil around the test tube so that it's dark, because maybe they are stressed out? This is strange because I have about 6 more colonies in the same place and those queens are not stressed or have any problems, And the queen behavior is real weird, I'd think as soon as I put them in the dark they would be okay and just go back in the test tube, but they don't. All of the nanitics are healthy and fine, and they usually stay in the tube tending to the eggs. I have not added any new food sources that could have pesticides or anything. Any ideas as to what is going on?

dumbbitch.jpg .jpg]

Attached Images

• dumbbitch.jpg

#2 Offline United-Ants - Posted June 22 2022 - 5:35 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
My camponotus have done the same thing in the past and have gone back in the tube on they own

#3 Offline buglover123 - Posted June 26 2022 - 9:46 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Update on the one that I put her in the test tube, she has pretty much died. When I put her in, for a few days she was still acting strange, kind  of staying on the cotton. There's got to be something going on other than just stress. In both cases workers are alive and healthy. I wonder if this species just prone to random die offs? I still have a few other young colonies but I am worried.

IMG_20220626_223724.jpg

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 27 2022 - 2:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
All Camponotus I’ve dealt with are prone to random die offs, all ants really.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline aznphenom - Posted June 27 2022 - 6:21 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Concur with Drew. I have wasted a ton of money and time and worrrying about ants. I currently only have colonies past founding/year 1 out of 40+ queens I have had. More if you count the 26+ atta queens that turned out to be duds. they're a live but not fertilized.

• ANTdrew likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users