• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FinWins Myrmecocystus mexicanus Journal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted September 3 2022 - 5:44 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

On August 23rd my two M. mexicanus queen arrived through the mail from Vick09usmc when the first came the were in good condition but their eggs were spread all over the end of the test tube. Luckily by the next day they had gathered all their eggs into neat little piles.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted September 3 2022 - 5:47 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Now they have tripled the size of their egg piles, this species seems to lay a lot of eggs in the first batch. I can’t wait for them to start producing repletes. 
image.jpg

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted October 14 2022 - 9:19 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So one of the queens died :(, but I gave her brood to the other one which accepted it. Now that queen has her first nanitic!

#4 Offline FinWins - Posted October 26 2022 - 3:03 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

One surviving queen is Thriving! She now has 5-6 nanitics and is on the road to success! I’m honestly shocked that she made it this far as honeypots can be finicky, but for once my neglect has paid off.

#5 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted October 27 2022 - 7:14 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Glad the're doing fine.And goodluck with them.
  • FinWins likes this

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted October 28 2022 - 8:01 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

With that PVA sponge pushed so far back you can expect it to dry out real soon.   :/

• FinWins likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline Locness - Posted October 29 2022 - 7:47 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yes, do you have a different water source? When my mexicanus arrived, the test tube was flooded. I tried putting them in a temp setup, but the queen wouldn't leave and she ate some of her eggs. After several weeks, I decided to just move her into a mini hearth. The eggs hatched shortly after and all 9 pupae eclosed together within a single week.

Edited by Locness, October 29 2022 - 9:47 PM.

• FinWins likes this

#8 Offline FinWins - Posted October 29 2022 - 8:54 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

With that PVA sponge pushed so far back you can expect it to dry out real soon.   :/

Ok so I should clarify. I moved them in to a different test tube weeks ago, that has a much larger amount of water behind a cotton ball.

#9 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted October 29 2022 - 11:04 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
How are they doWIN finwin?
  • FinWins likes this

#10 Offline FinWins - Posted October 30 2022 - 8:24 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

They are doing very well, they LOVE sugars but aren’t always the biggest fans of proteins though. Lol. The queen is currently the only replete in the colony and you can see all the honey I fed her through her gaster which is super cool.

#11 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted October 30 2022 - 12:02 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Feed them more sugar water which will make the queen tired of being the only replate and produce some.
  • FinWins likes this

#12 Offline FinWins - Posted December 8 2022 - 9:17 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Sorry it’s been forever and a day since I posted I’ve been pretty busy. 
As for the Myrmecocystus colony they are doing very well. I moved them in to my second model of mini nest and they seem to LOVE it. Although it looks similar to the to THA’s nests it is actually quite different. I’ve made several upgrades from my previous nest model and this one is by far the best nest I’ve built yet, even though it’s pretty simplistic.

Here are some pictures of the colony and nest.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Katla likes this

#13 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 8 2022 - 10:28 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Cool

#14 Offline Katla - Posted December 9 2022 - 9:29 AM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

I Wish you all goodluck for that young foundation and hope that they will thrive and become strong and numerous!

• FinWins likes this

image.png

#15 Offline FinWins - Posted January 9 2023 - 10:18 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Update time: They are doing well in their nest but haven’t grown a whole lot though I think it’s just because it is winter because most of my other colonies have slowed down too. I can’t believe that they have survived this long though!

image.jpg

#16 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted January 10 2023 - 9:25 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Can't really see them due to the condensation tho but keep up the good work.

#17 Offline FinWins - Posted January 17 2023 - 9:17 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

They have been growing quite a bit lately. It seems like everyday that a new worker or two is eclosing. There are now around 12-14 workers.

• 100lols likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users