• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

ANTdrew's Carolina Mantis Journal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 9 2022 - 8:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,528 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Beginning 6-9-2022

This is a new journal for some Stagmomantis carolina nymphs I am raising along with my five year old son. At the end of last October, he found a gravid female on a butterfly bush in my yard. We cared for her for a few weeks, keeping her in an old AC outworld 1.0. She eventually laid an egg case, then promptly died.

Here she is:

IMG 1231
IMG 1233

I kept the egg case in an open top glass jar under a roof on my patio all winter. On Sunday, June 5th, nymphs finally started to hatch out of the egg case, which was very exciting for all of us! Luckily, I had prepared in advance by ordering a wingless fruit fly culture and preparing several containers. We are currently keeping two of the baby mantids, and I gave one to my insect loving coworker as well.

IMG 2771

I'm going to crowdsource for names for these nymphs. Drop suggestions in the thread.

• DDD101DDD, m99, bmb1bee and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted June 9 2022 - 8:11 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Jade, Opal, etc. if you want some cool names for the nice translucent color of the nymphs.

Love the mantids btw, good luck with them!

• ANTdrew and ColAnt735 like this

Top three favorite colonies so far are Pheidole navigans, Hypoponera opacior, and Myrmecocystus depilis.

Check out my journal and shop!

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted June 9 2022 - 1:24 PM

T.C.

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
Becareful with the having dead prey in their enclosure. This species has been known to grab the dead and eat it if they have gone a while without eating. As well keep in mind their enclosure should be quite tall as they molt.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 17 2022 - 7:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,528 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-17-2022

After wading through the overwhelming number of name suggestions, we've narrowed it down to: Jade. The one we had on the patio was going to be named Opal, but it unfortunately died for some reason. Perhaps it got too hot.

We are misting Jade's AC outworld every day, and I cleaned it to remove any remaining dead insects. The mantis is eating fruit flies voraciously, and it had its first molt this morning, which was fun to watch while I ate my breakfast. It basically doubled in size since hatching, and I have a feeling it's a male. My son is really have a blast keeping this creature, which is the most important thing.

IMG 2856
IMG 2878

• VenomousBeast and Kaelwizard like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline bmb1bee - Posted June 17 2022 - 8:16 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
Adorable! I’m glad it got a successful molt.
  • ANTdrew likes this

Top three favorite colonies so far are Pheidole navigans, Hypoponera opacior, and Myrmecocystus depilis.

Check out my journal and shop!

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 30 2022 - 2:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,528 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-30-2022

Our Stagmomantis, Jade, continues to do great. These are very rewarding animals to keep! It is eating four or five wingless fruit flies a day. We've tried some larger flies and a tree cricket nymph, but I think it is still intimidated by them. The mantis had its second successful molt on Saturday, June 25th. It is almost one inch long now.

My son also found what is likely to be one of Jade's siblings out in our yard the other day. Very cool to see!

IMG 3003

Attached Files

Edited by ANTdrew, June 30 2022 - 2:34 AM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users