• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Termite id

termites

Best Answer VenomousBeast , June 8 2022 - 6:04 PM

I caught these termites in a dry big stick with some holes in it. Can someone try and id it and give me an idea of how to raise them? Thanks in advance. BD3ACA1B-9E2D-4CB7-ABF1-1F1C420E24C0.jpeg
I didn’t catch any reproductives, is it true that termite workers will molt to become reproductives and start having babies?

These look like drywood termites, could you give me where you found them? I can more accurately Id them for you
Also, the secondary queens and kings are somewhat rarer in drywood termites, but not impossible. For example the termitats tend to give rise to them, but you need nymphs in order to get them, and they need to be male and female nymphs. Unlike ants, each individual is a different gender and as such a male can't become a queen
I found them in my backyard near a large tree within a rope ladder if that helps. The ladder seemed pretty dry and not that rotten. I see a few little termites that are about 1/3 the length of the other workers, is that a nymph? Also it is completely white unlike the other workers that have slight coloration. I will see if I can collect nymphs outside.
I looked into the termites in your area and I still think they are reticulitermes🤷‍♂️ the soldiers are how to ID termites and they just look nothing like any of your other native species😁 Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dumpling - Posted June 8 2022 - 4:12 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPasadena, California

I caught these termites in a dry big stick with some holes in it. Can someone try and id it and give me an idea of how to raise them? Thanks in advance. BD3ACA1B-9E2D-4CB7-ABF1-1F1C420E24C0.jpeg

I didn’t catch any reproductives, is it true that termite workers will molt to become reproductives and start having babies?

Edited by Dumpling, June 8 2022 - 4:13 PM.

My PFP is an ant. Yes. An Ant. I promise.

My all in one journal: https://www.formicul...-april-22-2022/

#2 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted June 8 2022 - 5:01 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

These look like drywood termites, could you give me where you found them? I can more accurately Id them for you😁
Also, the secondary queens and kings are somewhat rarer in drywood termites, but not impossible. For example the termitats tend to give rise to them, but you need nymphs in order to get them, and they need to be male and female nymphs. Unlike ants, each individual is a different gender and as such a male can't become a queen😝
  • UtahAnts, Dumpling and FloridaAnts like this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#3 Offline Dumpling - Posted June 8 2022 - 5:12 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I found them in my backyard near a large tree within a rope ladder if that helps. The ladder seemed pretty dry and not that rotten. I see a few little termites that are about 1/3 the length of the other workers, is that a nymph? Also it is completely white unlike the other workers that have slight coloration. I will see if I can collect nymphs outside.

#4 Offline Dumpling - Posted June 8 2022 - 5:13 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

These look like drywood termites, could you give me where you found them? I can more accurately Id them for you
Also, the secondary queens and kings are somewhat rarer in drywood termites, but not impossible. For example the termitats tend to give rise to them, but you need nymphs in order to get them, and they need to be male and female nymphs. Unlike ants, each individual is a different gender and as such a male can't become a queen

#5 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted June 8 2022 - 6:04 PM   Best Answer

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

I looked into the termites in your area and I still think they are reticulitermes🤷‍♂️ the soldiers are how to ID termites and they just look nothing like any of your other native species😁

Edited by VenomousBeast, June 8 2022 - 6:08 PM.

Keeps:

#6 Offline OiledOlives - Posted June 8 2022 - 6:22 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Did you just edit your previous Incisitermes minor identification into Reticulitermes? 

#7 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted June 8 2022 - 6:26 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Did you just edit your previous Incisitermes minor identification into Reticulitermes?

I did, due to re-evaluation. The soldiers weren't my main focus at first, as I was looking for a drywood termite species first, which the only species there is in CA is Incisitermes minor, but upon relooking at his photo, it was pretty evident that it does not have the blackening of the mandible, nor the head shape.

Keeps:

#8 Offline Dumpling - Posted June 8 2022 - 7:01 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I did, due to re-evaluation. The soldiers weren't my main focus at first, as I was looking for a drywood termite species first, which the only species there is in CA is Incisitermes minor, but upon relooking at his photo, it was pretty evident that it does not have the blackening of the mandible, nor the head shape.

I thought you said reticulitermes nest 30 ft underground? (On a different post) so how should I go about caring for them?

#9 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted June 9 2022 - 3:58 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

I thought you said reticulitermes nest 30 ft underground? (On a different post) so how should I go about caring for them?
Reticulitermes often end up making new colonies via budding, so the nymphs will molt into secondary kings and queens. Think of it like a tree, the queen lives at the trunk 30ish ft underground (in mature colonies) and the workers branch to the top to find food, if a branch breaks off, then those workers will start a secondary reproductive system to keep them alive (but if they reconnect, I have no clue what happens as that's not been very well observed🤷‍♂️).
As for caring for them, they need moist soil, and wood debri. You can put them in a container with a lid, water the soil a bit, add the wood, then the termites and let them sit for a couple months, come back and you'll have secondary reproductive and they'll start laying eggs, etc. Though if you want to see them, I use Plaster nests with a bit of soil/cellulose powder mix filled in all the chambers except the one they are in. Also, make the chambers shallow and close to the plastic/glass so you can see their activity!
  • FloridaAnts likes this

Keeps:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: termites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users