• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Please!

id

Best Answer ColAnt735 , May 30 2022 - 5:48 PM

You need Lasius workers/brood for this species, the more brood/workers you get the better this species is pretty hard to keep for newbies.Here is a care sheet for this species' European sister species. Their care is the same:https://www.formicul...sius-umbratus/ 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antlover23 - Posted May 30 2022 - 4:11 PM

Antlover23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

1. Troy Michigan, at a park/trail

2. Collected today
3. Forestish area
4. About 0.4 of a inch

5. Reddish brown
6. Everything else is unknown. I suspect it either a lasuis neoniger or tetramorium.

#2 Offline Antlover23 - Posted May 30 2022 - 4:13 PM

Antlover23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I can try and take more pics if nessecary but i already put her in a dark area.

#3 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted May 30 2022 - 4:14 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Lasius aphidicola queen. This species is parasitic so you will need host workers.
  • azzaaazzzz00, lazyant and Antlover23 like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#4 Offline Antlover23 - Posted May 30 2022 - 4:39 PM

Antlover23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Oh ok thanks!

#5 Offline Antlover23 - Posted May 30 2022 - 4:46 PM

Antlover23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I have a few questions though. So I just collect workers? Can they be tetramorium or lasuis, or does it not really matter? Additionally, where can I find a care-sheet for this species? Is this too hard for a beginner or is it easy, as I would like to have a parasitic lasuis, I find them really cool!

#6 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted May 30 2022 - 5:48 PM   Best Answer

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

You need Lasius workers/brood for this species, the more brood/workers you get the better this species is pretty hard to keep for newbies.Here is a care sheet for this species' European sister species. Their care is the same:https://www.formicul...sius-umbratus/ 

Edited by ColAnt735, May 30 2022 - 5:49 PM.

• azzaaazzzz00, lazyant, Antlover23 and 1 other like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#7 Offline Antlover23 - Posted May 30 2022 - 6:07 PM

Antlover23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thanks! I’ll try my luck with these, and I’ll be posting some threads with questions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users