• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Atta Texana Fungus

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 19 2022 - 3:30 PM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Hi there :) I have caught a number of atta texana queens this season, but only a couple have produced fungus, so I would like to see if anyone would be willing to sell me some fungus to help boost my survival rate. I am a leafcutter newbie, so I appreciate any help I can get to establish a colony.

Thanks!

Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

#2 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 19 2022 - 3:37 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

So that means you have a lot of fungus? If so, you can give the others a piece of it and they will accept it and grow it

Edited by aznphenom, May 24 2022 - 9:21 AM.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#3 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 19 2022 - 3:43 PM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

None of mine have enough fungus that I could easily piece it out. The three that I think have fungus, it's about the size of a grain of rice or maybe an apple seed at best.

#4 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 19 2022 - 3:47 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

You literally just need a speck. Fungus grows exponentially. You can wait for it to grow if you want. I didn’t merge my queens until 2 weeks after flight. I will try to upload some pictures tonight. Yesterday is 4 weeks for them so I probably have photos of each week.

Edited by aznphenom, May 20 2022 - 5:11 AM.

• Dumpling likes this

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#5 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 24 2022 - 7:44 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

FYI I'm still interested in purchasing A. Texana fungus if anyone has some available :) Thanks!

#6 Offline mmcguffi - Posted May 24 2022 - 9:05 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Not to derail this conversation, but I wanted to +1 what aznphenom said (I also sent a private message to UberDuber, but I think cataloging this info publicly for future people is helpful)

If some of your colonies have fungus, all you need is to take a sesame seed size of fungus from one that has fungus to a colony that doesn't. They should lay trophic eggs that will liquify and feed the fungus and in a few days the previously fungus-less colonies should have ~a US nickel's worth of fungus

In any case, I hope you can get some fungus if you are still looking for it UberDuber! 

• aznphenom and Dumpling like this

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 24 2022 - 1:53 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

A friend of mine in Houston wants to purchase an Atta texana founding dealate (queen), any of you know who would have some available?

• aznphenom likes this

#8 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 24 2022 - 1:56 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

duplicate

Edited by aznphenom, May 25 2022 - 4:44 AM.

#9 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 24 2022 - 2:00 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland
People observed alates just yesterday morning. But people and vendors will probably have them for sale around July. With the mortality rate, no one wants to sell just queens for them to die and people start bad mouthing their reputation

#10 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 24 2022 - 4:26 PM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

AntsEmporium will probably have atta colonies later in the year. It's hard to sell these as just queens because the mortality rate is so high. Also they do not ship well.

Still very much would like to buy fungus from someone though <3

#11 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 24 2022 - 4:37 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

AntsEmporium will probably have atta colonies later in the year. It's hard to sell these as just queens because the mortality rate is so high. Also they do not ship well.

Still very much would like to buy fungus from someone though <3

I've got Trachymyrmex fungus if you're desperate enough🤷‍♂️ I'm not sure how well it'll be used by Atta but the fungus is the same species, though, if I recall, they are different subspecies 🤔🤷‍♂️
  • antsinvirgina likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#12 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 25 2022 - 5:27 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Thanks Venom but that sounds too risky to me if it's not specifically from an atta texana colony. Appreciate the offer though

• VenomousBeast and antsinvirgina like this

#13 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 25 2022 - 6:02 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

Thanks Venom but that sounds too risky to me if it's not specifically from an atta texana colony. Appreciate the offer though

No problem! Wish I was in an area that had Atta again, they're very entertaining

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users