• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Dan's Camponotus us-ca02 journal

24 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted June 19 2022 - 5:05 PM

Dan_Not_Found

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLA, California
Small Update

Both the MH queen and Fortress Queen have a bunch of cocoons so I expect both colonies to have 13-14 workers by the end of summer or a bit earlier.

I do think they could grow faster but unfortunately I don't have the insects to make that happen. The last of my darkling beetles died out yesterday and there are no signs of mealworms :(

Also, disregard what I said about these ant launching themselves across the fluon barrier. I literally watched one worker from the Fortress colony walk across it and back with 0 problems. I'm not completely sure why that is, but it isn't much of a problem for now so I won't try to fix it.
My guess is that the plastic on the Fortress got really dirty or something so the ants can easily grip onto particles stuck onto it.f7cec10a227925ad00d137b1c059f0d1.jpgf342048fa81d0a9b7feac70090e97ae0.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidus

#22 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 19 2022 - 5:55 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Even though there are no signs that baby mealworms are present, don’t loose hope. Mealworms take a bit to grow up to see-able sizes so. I have that same issue. 

Edited by ZTYguy, June 19 2022 - 5:56 PM.

• Dan_Not_Found likes this
Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. vicinus, C. us-ca02, C. clarithorax, C. yogi, C. sansabeanus, C. semitestaceus, C. laevigatus , M. mimicus, M. mexicanus , P. montanus, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, L. humile

GO CHECK OUT ANTSEMPORIUM HERE: https://antsemporium.com/

#23 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted June 30 2022 - 10:48 AM

Dan_Not_Found

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLA, California
The MH colony can also climb over the barrier... maybe I'm just really bad at applying fluon 🥲

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidus

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 30 2022 - 12:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Increase ventilation and decrease humidity and the fluon will work.
  • Dan_Not_Found and FloridaAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#25 Offline Dan_Not_Found - Posted Today, 9:04 AM

Dan_Not_Found

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLA, California

7/4/22

Both colonies have around 10 workers.

Hopefully they can grow up to 20-25 workers before summer ends  :D

• FloridaAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus US-CA02