• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

How to find trachymyrmex septrionalis queens?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 7 2022 - 9:34 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
I was reading over Aaron’s journal on these, and it seems he caught some in October and May. When is the mass nuptial flights for these ants? I have found a queen of a similar species, but it died later in the day. I also have heard they have flights in the morning? Would black light be effective?

#2 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 7 2022 - 11:54 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania
They tend to fly in May to June depending on your area. If it's been really cold in your area like it has for me in Virginia, they fly in June, but normally they fly in May in the afternoon. Normally about 3-5pm.The day after a rainstorm, not the same day due to the need to excavate the nest. Also, Temps need to be at least 75°F and maximum of 87°F. If it's too hot, they won't fly due to their fungus pellet dying.
  • ANTdrew and antsinvirgina like this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 7 2022 - 12:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

They tend to fly in May to June depending on your area. If it's been really cold in your area like it has for me in Virginia, they fly in June, but normally they fly in May in the afternoon. Normally about 3-5pm.The day after a rainstorm, not the same day due to the need to excavate the nest. Also, Temps need to be at least 75°F and maximum of 87°F. If it's too hot, they won't fly due to their fungus pellet dying.

Let’s find them this year!
  • VenomousBeast and antsinvirgina like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 7 2022 - 1:38 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Also, we have only had 2 heavy rainstorms down here in Florida. April just lost its reputation, and we are now beginning to get some strong rainstorms. Does this mean flights may be delayed by a month?

#5 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 7 2022 - 5:02 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Also, we have only had 2 heavy rainstorms down here in Florida. April just lost its reputation, and we are now beginning to get some strong rainstorms. Does this mean flights may be delayed by a month?
Just a little storm works, doesn't need to be a strong one. The sand they like to live in just needs a light sprinkle so they can dig in it until they get to the already moistened layer. I would keep a close watch on colonies you have in your area, they will test the air often so you'll know when they are about to. Also, if you can't find any colonies in your area, you will probably not see any queens doing a flight. They don't travel much in their flights and tend to mate on the ground with only 1 male (not the mating piles that happen with Atta and Acromyrmex) I would say a 1 mile radius from their home nest, though I can't prove that😝. I've also tested it a bit, but you can make them mate in situ since they don't need to fly to mate and generally accept from other colonies easily. You could collect a male from one colony and a virgin queen from another and make them mate🤷‍♂️ I would provide some fungus for the queen if you do that though since naturally they grab their pellet of fungus right before their flights. Also, Trachymyrmex mate in April/May in Florida since they don't hibernate much there. If you've got any more questions, I'm down to answer to the best of my ability! Though, my knowledge is mainly on the population of Trachies down in Southern Texas, and only a little bit of Florida and Virginia. Other populations I don't know too much about but you can propably assume this information is 90% accurate for them too.
  • antsinvirgina likes this

Keeps:

#6 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 7 2022 - 7:27 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Oh believe me, there is many colonies in the area. Most under oaks, and interestingly enough, trachymyrmex in my area are partnering with RIFA, by letting them defend their nest. Every trachymyrmex colony I find, I look for a rock or piece of wood, and there you go, a rest stop for invicta workers. I have even seen Trachymyrmex letting them in their nest, without either ant fighting! Interesting if you ask me.

Also, looking tomorrow. Report any findings y’all find here.

(P.S: By heavy rains I mean rains that actually give the grass water)

#7 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 7 2022 - 8:29 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Oh believe me, there is many colonies in the area. Most under oaks, and interestingly enough, trachymyrmex in my area are partnering with RIFA, by letting them defend their nest. Every trachymyrmex colony I find, I look for a rock or piece of wood, and there you go, a rest stop for invicta workers. I have even seen Trachymyrmex letting them in their nest, without either ant fighting! Interesting if you ask me.

Also, looking tomorrow. Report any findings y’all find here.

(P.S: By heavy rains I mean rains that actually give the grass water)

This is actually something I noticed too. Along with Cyphomyrmex, Trachymyrmex are very docile and don't attack any other ant species. I guess this also includes RIFA,which is nice because at least we'll know that Trachymyrmex won't be displaced from them😝.
And yes, oaks are the best place to find them!! I second that

Keeps:

#8 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 7 2022 - 8:52 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Although Cyphomyrmex doesn’t attack other ants, they sure do love the dead ones….
  • VenomousBeast likes this

#9 Offline SuperFrank - Posted May 8 2022 - 2:36 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Ime both trachymyrmex and Cyphomyrmex are essentially invisible to other ants. I have witnessed a S invicta colony migrate right through a T septentrionalis nest and not disturb it. The entire invicta nest complex was completely surrounding the septentrionalis nest entrance and invicta workers were going in and out of the septentrionalis nest. I did not see a hint of aggression between the two species.
  • VenomousBeast and MinigunL5 like this

#10 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 8 2022 - 3:49 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Although Cyphomyrmex doesn’t attack other ants, they sure do love the dead ones….

Yes they do! They love to use them to grow their yeast. Basically any insect parts, but I tend to see heads as the common growth medium for them 😝 That's probably another reason they are avoided by other ants, they can help use up their graveyard piles🤷‍♂️.
  • antsinvirgina likes this

Keeps:

#11 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 8 2022 - 8:05 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Dorymyrmex don’t avoid them… the nest(Of my colony) was surrounded by them

#12 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 8 2022 - 12:25 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

As far as I know, VA trachy fly in August-September. 

#13 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 8 2022 - 12:44 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
It’s gonna end up like S. Invicta, January-November, which is true down here

#14 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 8 2022 - 1:01 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Just a little storm works, doesn't need to be a strong one. The sand they like to live in just needs a light sprinkle so they can dig in it until they get to the already moistened layer. I would keep a close watch on colonies you have in your area, they will test the air often so you'll know when they are about to. Also, if you can't find any colonies in your area, you will probably not see any queens doing a flight. They don't travel much in their flights and tend to mate on the ground with only 1 male (not the mating piles that happen with Atta and Acromyrmex) I would say a 1 mile radius from their home nest, though I can't prove that. I've also tested it a bit, but you can make them mate in situ since they don't need to fly to mate and generally accept from other colonies easily. You could collect a male from one colony and a virgin queen from another and make them mate‍♂ I would provide some fungus for the queen if you do that though since naturally they grab their pellet of fungus right before their flights. Also, Trachymyrmex mate in April/May in Florida since they don't hibernate much there. If you've got any more questions, I'm down to answer to the best of my ability! Though, my knowledge is mainly on the population of Trachies down in Southern Texas, and only a little bit of Florida and Virginia. Other populations I don't know too much about but you can propably assume this information is 90% accurate for them too.

Geez, if Trachymyrmex alates can think, I wonder what they think when they start a colony-
nanitics-Why you didn’t fly very far, we’re going to get outcompeted by some old queen who’s gonna die in a few years
Queen-We just have to hope my mother dies, or that all the plants die so she starves to death(Why did I come up with this on Mother’s Day?)

How often do they actually successfully form large colonies? They wouldn’t fight, but food competition with other leafcutter ants them…

#15 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 16 2022 - 6:53 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Lets! I know a couple of confirmed spots by me. Olive has been finding them near great falls/tyson area on the VA side. 

How certain are the above info? Most North east people that have trachy mostly have dug them up. I havent found anyone that has seen a flight that is north of North Carolina. 

Edited by aznphenom, May 16 2022 - 7:07 AM.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#16 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:04 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Lets! I should know to confirm spots by me. Olive has been finding them near great falls/tyson area on the VA side.

How certain are the above info? Most North east people that have trachy mostly have dug them up. I havent found anyone that has seen a flight that is north of North Carolina.
In the location I have of them, there are male alates ready! No queen alates yet but they normally take a bit longer to develop anyway🤷‍♂️ they don't really fly far from their nests😝 some even make it back to the original colonies in Florida and Texas, so it wouldn't be unusual to be unable to find any flights unless you were right there at the same time as one🤷‍♂️ Also, the info above is a prediction except for the Temps needed for flight. I've been observing them once or twice a week to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Edited by VenomousBeast, May 16 2022 - 7:06 AM.

Keeps:

#17 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:09 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Very valuable to be so close to a colony where you can check up on them. I am jealous of the people more south having them everywhere. My locations are very unique and small. 

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#18 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:10 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Very valuable to be so close to a colony where you can check up on them. I am jealous of the people more south having them everywhere. My locations are very unique and small.

It's actually a bit of a pain to go check on them since they are 35ish minutes away and it's an hour round trip each time😅🤣 but I also look for other ants to make it worth it as well🤷‍♂️

Keeps:

#19 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:16 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

It's actually a bit of a pain to go check on them since they are 35ish minutes away and it's an hour round trip each time but I also look for other ants to make it worth it as well‍♂

Oh. I guess I am a lot closer to mine. I guess I am just not as dedicated to ants like some of yall. I have atta now so i am not obsessed with finding trachy as before but I definitely want to spread them for other keepers because I might be the only non coastal spot in Maryland. You have motivated me. I shall try to go once a week.

#20 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:20 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

The only place I have found them is around 10 colonies in a 20x20 square meter area a 30 minute hike away from the nearest paved road, which is why I don't want to leak location.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users