• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

How to find trachymyrmex septrionalis queens?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:24 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Very valuable to be so close to a colony where you can check up on them. I am jealous of the people more south having them everywhere. My locations are very unique and small. 

The only place I have found them is around 10 colonies in a 20x20 square meter area a 30 minute hike away from the nearest paved road, which is why I don't want to leak location.

Definitely understand the thought. Mine might be the exactly same size but luckily not a hike but definitely well hidden and unique but there is already a huge hole there. I never tried counting colonies. I might go do that this week. It doesnt feel abundant like I was expecting but they are small ants and their unique mounds arent that big/noticeable. There are definitely other ants there. Like a10 and the largest formica colony I have seen. Not the mound could but its like 5x5 wide. 

Edited by aznphenom, May 16 2022 - 8:01 AM.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#22 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:41 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania
Yeah, same here, there's only 6 colonies that I've counted, maybe some small colonies or just founding queens are around but I haven't found them yet. But here's a picture of one of the colonies I found20220406_163152.jpg
I gave them some sugar water so I could get them to stay still for pictures😝

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#23 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 16 2022 - 8:02 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Yeah, same here, there's only 6 colonies that I've counted, maybe some small colonies or just founding queens are around but I haven't found them yet. But here's a picture of one of the colonies I foundattachicon.gif20220406_163152.jpg
I gave them some sugar water so I could get them to stay still for pictures

Granular sugar? and that worked? I should start baiting out colonies and follow them back to the mounds. Maybe I can condition them to work into a trap, which i have thought about doing before.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#24 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 16 2022 - 8:21 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

Yeah, same here, there's only 6 colonies that I've counted, maybe some small colonies or just founding queens are around but I haven't found them yet. But here's a picture of one of the colonies I foundattachicon.gif20220406_163152.jpg
I gave them some sugar water so I could get them to stay still for pictures

Granular sugar? and that worked? I should start baiting out colonies and follow them back to the mounds. Maybe I can condition them to work into a trap, which i have thought about doing before.
Yup, just regular granular sugar‍ I always carry some with me and a water bottle so can see what's living in an area. I normally set it out and then check back in 10-30 minutes after putting a few more in other spots and document what I find. It's a good way of finding a general population size of a specific area! Especially in species that build trails. You can tell which are from the same colonies and which are not as they'll compete over the sugar and you can know how many colonies there are, and a general idea of how many in the colony based on how many show up. It's not the most accurate for finding the colony sizes, and it differs from each species on who shows up to feed, but very useful!

Edited by VenomousBeast, May 16 2022 - 8:22 AM.

• aznphenom likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users