• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Atta Founding - Hydration Questions

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:27 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Here's that picture I forgot to attach.

IMG_1027.jpg

Edited by UberDuber, May 16 2022 - 7:29 AM.

Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

#22 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:30 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I guess I need to look into buying fungus from someone then lol Even the one that has it, it's barely a crumb.

I wouldn't worry about that yet. If may 9th or a day earlier was when you caught them then you're behind me by like 2 weeks. The fungus definitely grow fast. I recently just merged all me gardenless queens with garden queens. They are all still alive. No killing of each other. The queens are attracted to the fungus like crack. The instant they sense it, they start tending to it asap. Kind of wish I left a couple of singles to see if multiple queens grow their garden faster than a single if both were the same size after week X. But all the pairs have noticeable gardens now. Some are disc shape, others are a ball. I'll probably leave them be now for a few weeks. The plaster should stay moist that long. I may create a time-lapse if i can find my spare camera.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#23 Offline mmcguffi - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:32 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

You should be able to noticeably see the garden even after a few days. For reference, I collected these queens on May 6th this year, but they had no fungus. I added fungus on May 11th and this is what it looks like (pic taken 5 min ago):

IMG_1069.jpeg

• MinigunL5, antsinvirgina and FloridaAnts like this

#24 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:51 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

You should be able to noticeably see the garden even after a few days. For reference, I collected these queens on May 6th this year, but they had no fungus. I added fungus on May 11th and this is what it looks like (pic taken 5 min ago):

attachicon.gifIMG_1069.jpeg

I didn't know you did sand set ups too. Any noticeable difference? I enjoy my sand set ups. Its cool seeing them dig. Where did you get your sand? Mine are super fine and I actually don't like it.

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#25 Offline UberDuber - Posted May 16 2022 - 8:10 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

I'm interested in where to get that coarse sand as well lol I just have regular play sand.

Thanks for the additional fungus input.

Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

#26 Offline mmcguffi - Posted May 16 2022 - 8:53 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

It's just regular play sand! I got it from homedepot for ~$5

I probably wouldn't use it again just because it makes getting the fungus/queens out more difficult, but I wanted to experiment since I'm 90% sure these queens are infertile. It is neat to see them dig!

Edited by mmcguffi, May 16 2022 - 8:59 AM.

#27 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted May 16 2022 - 12:33 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Question for you, if Atta are infertile and have fungus couldn’t you just give it to another queen when they die/have males?

#28 Offline mmcguffi - Posted May 16 2022 - 12:39 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Question for you, if Atta are infertile and have fungus couldn’t you just give it to another queen when they die/have males?

Yes, you can easily transplant fungus (and brood). Atta only mate high in the air, so adding males does not help ...even though I continue to fruitlessly try every time I have collected them haha

Or when you say "have males" if you mean the unfertilized eggs develop into nanitic males -- this is a bit different in Atta. Nanitic males don't (usually) develop from unfertilized eggs. There is 1 observation of this happening (that I am aware of; http://www.sbs.utexa...Sociaux2019.pdf) though this is indeed rare, and also likely result from diploid eggs making this a different mechanism from most ants that produce nanitic males. Typically the infertile Atta eggs just don't develop

Edited by mmcguffi, May 16 2022 - 12:42 PM.

• FloridaAnts likes this

#29 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted May 16 2022 - 7:35 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Yes, you can easily transplant fungus (and brood). Atta only mate high in the air, so adding males does not help ...even though I continue to fruitlessly try every time I have collected them haha

Or when you say "have males" if you mean the unfertilized eggs develop into nanitic males -- this is a bit different in Atta. Nanitic males don't (usually) develop from unfertilized eggs. There is 1 observation of this happening (that I am aware of; http://www.sbs.utexa...Sociaux2019.pdf) though this is indeed rare, and also likely result from diploid eggs making this a different mechanism from most ants that produce nanitic males. Typically the infertile Atta eggs just don't develop

I have had Brachymyrmex mate in tubes(I had to check), but I am sure this is very different with Atta.

#30 Offline mmcguffi - Posted June 1 2022 - 7:02 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

@UberDuber and @aznphenom -- any updates on your colonies? Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but I'm not sure if y'all have journals/threads

My 8 surviving queens (9 originally collected) are all infertile this year. If y'all collected your foundresses about a month ago, they should have late instar larvae or pupae by now

#31 Offline aznphenom - Posted June 2 2022 - 4:40 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

@UberDuber and @aznphenom -- any updates on your colonies? Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but I'm not sure if y'all have journals/threads

My 8 surviving queens (9 originally collected) are all infertile this year. If y'all collected your foundresses about a month ago, they should have late instar larvae or pupae by now

My set ups doesn't let me get a great view of the eggs but i think 1 of my 9 colonies have different size eggs. 

• mmcguffi and FloridaAnts like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users