• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pink Cardiocondyla Larvae?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline bmb1bee - Posted May 4 2022 - 11:05 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I recently got a Cardiocondyla colony, and they're at around 40 workers and a few queens. They have a good-sized brood pile so far, with some pupae, mature larvae, and a pile of over 20 eggs. I noticed that some of the larvae have gotten pinkish tints to them, which was weird. Mostly larvae in the prepupal stage, but also a few small ones too. I have no idea why they suddenly turned pink. I did feed them some pink fish flakes, but I doubt that's the reason...

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#2 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 4 2022 - 11:11 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia
The larvae have a pinkish tinge because you fed them pink fish flakes.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted May 4 2022 - 1:14 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

The larvae have a pinkish tinge because you fed them pink fish flakes.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

Probably, but if it's because of the fish flakes, my Tetramorium would also be having pink larvae because I also feed them the fish flakes. The Tetra colony feast on the fish flakes every week, but don't seem to have pink larvae like the Cardiocondyla. I will post some pictures later.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#4 Offline Dumpling - Posted May 4 2022 - 1:24 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPasadena, California

It's most likely the fish flakes. Maybe some species' larvae don't get affected by the color of food eaten.

My PFP is an ant. Yes. An Ant. I promise.

My all in one journal: https://www.formicul...-april-22-2022/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users