• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Trash room? or pantry?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted April 30 2022 - 7:07 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I've noticed a pattern with my camponotus sp. ants. They often reserve one room of their nest just for "trash" it's mostly half eaten crickets and fruit flies and it's not clear if they are still working on eating them or not.

I've also noticed that ... from time to time they will clean out the room. Dump all the trash. Mostly after I feed them a bunch of fresh killed bugs. Almost as if they are feeling like they have enough in their gasters that picking over the trash isn't worth it. Has anyone else noticed this? I've seen it with my penns and with my discolor colony. 

XKvbwSm.jpg

H8rNOcs.jpg

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted May 1 2022 - 1:46 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I always pin the insects down in their foraging area so they don't drag the insects into the nest. Otherwise your risking the chance of mold.
  • futurebird likes this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#3 Offline Canadant - Posted May 1 2022 - 11:19 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Love the formicarium! Mine did that, but as space became premium it was cleaned up and dumped outside. I think that's the case for certain ant species. Some are just cleaner than others.
  • futurebird likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#4 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 4 2022 - 5:29 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

For the most part, I’ve noticed my Camponotus sp are pretty fastidious. My almost 4 year old C. pennsylvanicus colony created a dedicated trash heap in a corner of their outworld at the 2 year point. My C. novaeboracensis are in an AntsCanada setup with 2 test tubes connected to a portal. The portal serves as a feeding chamber. They’ve made one test tube the garbage dump yet keep their habitat clean. With a solid substrate to my outworlds, I haven’t pinned feeder insects. So far, I’ve been able to avoid mold by using forceps and an aspirator to clean the outworld and nest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users