• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What's your favorite genus/species of ant?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 14 2022 - 11:55 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Tsushimae is in New England?

Probably, the issue is tsushimae is largely identical to immigrans at a glance. Even under a microscope its hard to tell them apart, look at this key for example. At the moment, I believe the only ways to confidently tell the two apart are DNA testing and immigrans being monogynous vs tsushimae being polygynous. Because of that, it's hard to track their spread across North America. Tsushimae seems more tied to urban areas than immigrans though, and since New England has a few decently large cities its very possible that tsushimae has already arrived.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, April 14 2022 - 11:56 AM.

#22 Offline Chickalo - Posted April 15 2022 - 6:16 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Tsushimae is in New England?

Probably, the issue is tsushimae is largely identical to immigrans at a glance. Even under a microscope its hard to tell them apart, look at this key for example. At the moment, I believe the only ways to confidently tell the two apart are DNA testing and immigrans being monogynous vs tsushimae being polygynous. Because of that, it's hard to track their spread across North America. Tsushimae seems more tied to urban areas than immigrans though, and since New England has a few decently large cities its very possible that tsushimae has already arrived.

So the easiest way to distinguish the two is to put multiple queens together during founding to see if they're polygynous or the other type I can't remember what it's called but the temporary polygynous founding

シグナチャーです。예.

#23 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 17 2022 - 1:55 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Well if they turned out to be Monogyne wouldn't you be losing queens?

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#24 Offline OiledOlives - Posted April 17 2022 - 1:58 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Oh no, not a loss of a couple immigrans queens!

#25 Offline lazyant - Posted April 17 2022 - 2:28 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

Colobopsis etiola derpy af ants

af= as formica

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#26 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 17 2022 - 2:56 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Yes, but it also gives the colony a larger starting population. If you're like me and find more Tetra queens than you have room for, its an effective way to get rid of extras and make sure each colony you found has a boosted population from the start.

#27 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 17 2022 - 3:19 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Yea that makes sense, I don't find tetra queens that often so I wouldn't be able to doan expierement like that anyways.

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#28 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted April 17 2022 - 5:51 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Its time for favorite species of ant(s) drum roll please! Polyrhachis cyaniventris. Blue rip offs of weaver ants? Yes please! I also like Crematogaster cerasi because they are just fun and look amazing.

Edited by ColAnt735, April 18 2022 - 6:44 PM.

• ANTS_KL, azzaaazzzz00 and lazyant like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#29 Offline antgallery - Posted April 17 2022 - 7:48 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

my favorite ants are  atta texana neoponera villosa Pheidole dentata Pheidole pilifera Pheidole rhea  Linepithema humile

Linepithema humile?

Edited by antgallery, April 19 2022 - 2:04 PM.

#30 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 18 2022 - 4:15 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Its time for favorite species of ant(s) drum roll please! Polyrachis cyaniventris. Blue rip offs of weaver ants? Yes please! I also like Crematogaster cerasi because they are just fun and look amazing.

Oh, yeah, Polyrhachis are awesome. So many cool looking species.

#31 Offline PaigeX - Posted April 18 2022 - 9:36 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis.

Favourite sp of Polyrhachis: Polyrhachis ammon, however Polyrhachis rufifemur is getting closer to the same level of love.

Other Favourites: Myrmecia chrysogaster, Dolichoderus scrobiculatus, Colobopsis macrocephala, Polyrhachis vermiculosa, Polyrhachis daemeli, Polyrhachis hookeri and Cardiocondyla sp.

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#32 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 18 2022 - 12:02 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
I just love Atta. Closest thing we have is trachymyrmex, which is also pretty neat, but I never seem to find any.

#33 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 18 2022 - 6:36 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Its time for favorite species of ant(s) drum roll please! Polyrachis cyaniventris. Blue rip offs of weaver ants? Yes please! I also like Crematogaster cerasi because they are just fun and look amazing.

Oecophylla and Meranoplus are better!  :mad: There was that one Polyrhachis sp. that looked like Diacamma. Pretty cool. Still unsure if that was mimicry or not.

• Leptomyrmx likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#34 Offline SYUTEO - Posted April 18 2022 - 9:51 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Oecophylla and Meranoplus are better!  :mad: There was that one Polyrhachis sp. that looked like Diacamma. Pretty cool. Still unsure if that was mimicry or not.

Meranoplus are very stubborn movers tho...

• ANTS_KL likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#35 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 19 2022 - 3:32 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The term you were thinking of is pleometrophic. Queens wouldn't die right away, just in the late founding stages or after they get workers.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#36 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 19 2022 - 4:03 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

The term you were thinking of is pleometrophic. Queens wouldn't die right away, just in the late founding stages or after they get workers.
Pleometrosis gets misused a lot in the antkeeping community. The actual term for what you're thinking of is secondary monogyny.

Haplometrosis: colony founded by 1 queen
Pleometrosis: colony founded by 2+ queens
Primary monogyny: colony starts with 1 queen and never gets any more
Secondary monogyny: colony starts with 2+ queens, extras are killed off until 1 remains
Primary polygyny: Colony starts with 2+ queens and keeps them
Secondary polygyny: Colony starts with 1 queen but later adds extras
  • Kaelwizard and Leptomyrmx like this

#37 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 19 2022 - 4:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Pleometrosis gets misused a lot in the antkeeping community. The actual term for what you're thinking of is secondary monogyny.

Haplometrosis: colony founded by 1 queen
Pleometrosis: colony founded by 2+ queens
Primary monogyny: colony starts with 1 queen and never gets any more
Secondary monogyny: colony starts with 2+ queens, extras are killed off until 1 remains
Primary polygyny: Colony starts with 2+ queens and keeps them
Secondary polygyny: Colony starts with 1 queen but later adds extras

Yeah after reading this, immigrans tend to be secondary monogynous. I once raised a colony with 3 queens, and it was the workers that killed off the extras, via slowly gnawing off their legs and eventually chopping them to pieces.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#38 Offline NicholasP - Posted May 9 2022 - 12:18 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

My favorite ant species so far is Myrmica. They're like bigger Temnothorax but still perfect for office desks and they get more workers!

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#39 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 9 2022 - 12:25 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Gotta love Solenopsis invicta(until they swarm you)

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, May 9 2022 - 12:26 PM.

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#40 Offline UTants - Posted May 27 2022 - 12:47 PM

UTants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHyrum, UT
My favorite ant species is polyrhachis cyaninventris. The blue ants that AntsCanada found.
UTants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users