• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping Acropyga?

aphids

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted April 10 2022 - 10:44 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Today I was checking my grandparents' pool for any queen ants, and I saw something that look like a formcine, but nothing I'd seen before.

Then I saw it. They were holding aphids!

I knew they were Acropyga and I caught 6 queens, 3 of which I am selling. (Acropyga sp. Queens for sale - Ants Online)

The other 3 I'm keeping. But the question is, how?

I have them in test tube setups with dirt and a small plant with roots. Is there a better way to keep them alive while still being able to see them well?

Thanks,

Leptomyrmx

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#2 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 11 2022 - 4:11 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Like I've said in chat, you could try and extremely flat sandwich-style setup with plants inside that the root aphids usually infest.

• Leptomyrmx likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#3 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 11 2022 - 7:02 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Leptomyrmx, my friend Dulneth is currently raising Acropyga as well. He keeps them in a petri-dish with a layer of moist toilet paper on the floor of the dish. He takes roots from Pine Trees and supplies the ants with it so the aphids have a steady supply of food. Currently the aphids in his setup have begun cloning and he also brood boosted the queen with worker pupae. The queen has one egg so far. Maybe you could try this method with one of your queens and see how successful you are?

• AntBoi3030 and Leptomyrmx like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#4 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted April 11 2022 - 10:00 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I was thinking something like that could work.

A test tube with roots but no dirt could work too, right?

This is what I have them in now...

stupid xd

Not really ideal, succulent roots might be too small.

But I have plenty of roots in my area and I think this could work, thanks.

Edited by Leptomyrmx, April 11 2022 - 10:22 PM.

• Manitobant, ZTYguy, ANTS_KL and 2 others like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#5 Offline United-Ants - Posted April 12 2022 - 11:20 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States

I was thinking something like that could work.

A test tube with roots but no dirt could work too, right?

This is what I have them in now...

Not really ideal, succulent roots might be too small.

But I have plenty of roots in my area and I think this could work, thanks.

i will try this  setup for Brachymyrmex depilis if i find  any this year 

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 10 2022 - 10:09 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Very late, but i imagine one of these closed jar terrariums would work great. They are basically self sustaining and the acropyga could culture their mealybugs on the plant roots.

Attached Images

• 9F14C2D8-5D8A-4276-894D-09EBA627F221.jpeg

Edited by Manitobant, June 10 2022 - 10:11 AM.

• ZTYguy and ANTS_KL like this

#7 Offline DinoH - Posted January 31 2024 - 2:14 PM

DinoH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Location20882 Gaithersburg, MD, US

Very late, but i imagine one of these closed jar terrariums would work great. They are basically self sustaining and the acropyga could culture their mealybugs on the plant roots.

But they are cryptic ants. Won’t you never see them again?

#8 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted February 4 2024 - 8:22 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
Acropyga might be ants left to watch in the wild even though I would love to keep them I have zero idea on how to keep them and observe them. I also think a sandwich style formicariums is the best idea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphids

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users