• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Ligniperda queen dead

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted April 14 2022 - 6:05 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I posted a few weeks ago about a worker acting erratic and then dying. Since then, two more workers died. I checked on them today and saw the queen was standing in an odd position. Looked closer and saw she was clearly dead, with her abdomen bursting with either mold or fungus.

I'm so freaking sad, I traveled over an hour just to pick this girl up with her original 6 workers and brood. She's been kept next to the couch so I could see her every day, she was definitely my favorite of all my ants.

Could this have been caused by eating mold a couple months ago? I had moved them into a new nest because they had dragged a mealworm into their test tube and it grew a dense yellow fuzzy mold.

Is this something I need to worry about my nearby ant colonies getting sick from?

Any idea what caused this?

Can get better photos later if needed, just let me know.

Attached Images

• VideoCapture_20220414-155524.jpg
  • VideoCapture_20220414-155847.jpg

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 14 2022 - 6:27 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Camponotus queens often die randomly for no apparent reason, much more than other genera. They also seem much more prone to fungal infections.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 14 2022 - 7:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I second this. It's amazing to me that they can even survive in the wild. Big, old colonies of Camponotus really are a miracle.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users