• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BioScorpion - Posted April 8 2022 - 8:53 PM

BioScorpion

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

POPULAR

eUDKhVi.png

vis1Grk.png

What is BioScorpion? Introducing BioScorpion

BioScorpion is a upcoming organization aimed at providing habitats for ants, other insects and arachnids. The habitats are intended to be a beautiful center piece for your home, but built to simulate their natural environment, while also giving people the ability to clearly observe and study the inhabitant (s).

Although I have been working on creating habitats for some species of insects and arachnids, the primary focus recently has been on formicarium's and myrmecology. During the past several months I have been working through prototypes and testing the formicarium builds with random species of ants to ensure the formicarium's serve as a reliable and sustainable habitat for ant colonies. We have connected with museums and pet stores within our state and have pending agreements to display and sell our formicarium's within their establishments. Although we are not necessarily a "store" we are intending to sell our formicarium's and other habitats after thorough testing. However that could be as far out as July of 2022 as the creation and testing takes months. As well it should be noted that we do not intend or expect to profit financially from our creations. Due to the unfortunate amount of materials and time it takes for testing, it would be unrealistic to suggest we would have a significant profit. However through sales it will be enough to keep us moving, studying and changing the hobby.

As stated, release dates are not yet confirmed. However I'm in the testing phase of a few several month long builds. So hopefully we see them sooner than later. Some of the formicarium's have been designed to have integrated natural lighting, while also maintaining hydration points and a natural look. At the same time we are maintaining a beautiful look from the outside to create that center piece look. There's a lot of things to consider when building habitats, especially for ants. Anyone who has attempted to create a formicarium knows that it is nearly impossible to build a formicarium that is sustainable, convenient and that looks nice. On top of all that, I have been working towards creating them entirely unique to other builds you've seen which just further complicates things. Certain designs have been recreated nine times and still had a flaw of some kind. Once agreements are met with with the museums and pet stores, those will become priority which is why the release dates for the website and products are estimated to be released as far as between May and July of 2022. However they will be coming and all updates will be posted to this forum.
-BioScorpion

Account approved by dspdrew

Edited by BioScorpion, May 11 2022 - 12:12 AM.

• Zeiss, sL0wNsteady, ANTdrew and 7 others like this

tn_gallery_7007_2188_16206.png    Bio Scorpion Organization - 

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 8 2022 - 10:14 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Very fascinating, I’d be interested in purchasing an enclosure once testing is done. Is shipping going to be available to Southern California and other United States areas?

• Antkeeper01 and BioScorpion like this
Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. vicinus, C. us-ca02, C. clarithorax, C. yogi, C. sansabeanus, C. semitestaceus, C. laevigatus , M. mimicus, M. mexicanus , P. montanus, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, L. humile

GO CHECK OUT ANTSEMPORIUM HERE: https://antsemporium.com/

#3 Offline BioScorpion - Posted April 8 2022 - 11:55 PM

BioScorpion

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Very fascinating, I’d be interested in purchasing an enclosure once testing is done. Is shipping going to be available to Southern California and other United States areas?

Yes, any state in the U.S. I'll ship too. However the first few will be given away to get other experienced opinions on them before selling. 

• Vick09usmc, Antkeeper01 and ZTYguy like this

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 9 2022 - 12:08 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Look forward to seeing any pictures you may have.

• Antkeeper01 and BioScorpion like this

#5 Offline BioScorpion - Posted April 9 2022 - 4:32 AM

BioScorpion

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Look forward to seeing any pictures you may have.

I thought of sharing the progress, but figured I'd wait until I actually release them.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#6 Offline AmazingAnts - Posted April 13 2022 - 9:48 PM

AmazingAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

I too would love to see how this turns out. It seems like a very interesting venture.

• BioScorpion likes this

#7 Offline BioScorpion - Posted April 14 2022 - 1:26 AM

BioScorpion

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I too would love to see how this turns out. It seems like a very interesting venture.

Progress is moving quicker than expected. I had some work outsourced to pick up the pace a little and got some materials in quicker than I thought I would.

#8 Offline AmazingAnts - Posted April 14 2022 - 8:34 AM

AmazingAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Progress is moving quicker than expected. I had some work outsourced to pick up the pace a little and got some materials in quicker than I thought I would.

That's great to hear! I look forward to seeing the final product

#9 Offline BioScorpion - Posted April 18 2022 - 2:20 PM

BioScorpion

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Updated on original thread.

#10 Offline BioScorpion - Posted April 25 2022 - 12:49 PM

BioScorpion

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Updated. Late May to Late June will be the official release date for the first formicarium as well as a giveaway for the product.  

Supply Issues are slowing down progress drastically.

Edited by BioScorpion, April 27 2022 - 10:17 PM.

• TestSubjectOne, antgallery and SolenopsisKeeper- like this

#11 Offline BioScorpion - Posted May 6 2022 - 7:35 PM

BioScorpion

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

The site is finally live at https://www.bioscorpion.com

I have a long ways to go, but Inventory and other info will be Coming soon.  B)

• SolenopsisKeeper- likes this

#12 Offline SolenopsisKeeper- - Posted May 6 2022 - 8:02 PM

SolenopsisKeeper-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationFL, USA
Like the cover photo. Did you take it or did you buy it?

#13 Offline BioScorpion - Posted May 6 2022 - 8:13 PM

BioScorpion

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Like the cover photo. Did you take it or did you buy it?

I was going to use my images but I couldn't pass up on this master shot. I bought it.

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted May 17 2022 - 9:47 PM

T.C.

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Due to ongoing health issues, I haven't gotten too far with this in the past few weeks. I am in and out of the hospital looking for answers. I am hoping that it is nothing too serious and I can make up for the lost progress. But for now it is stopped until I am medically capable of continuing this. Still hoping for a mid-June release but we will see what the next week or two brings as far as my health. 

Edited by T.C., May 17 2022 - 9:47 PM.

• AnthonyP163, ZTYguy, antsriondel and 2 others like this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 18 2022 - 7:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,369 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I hope you get better soon, TC.
  • T.C., AnthonyP163, Devi and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline SolenopsisKeeper- - Posted May 18 2022 - 11:54 AM

SolenopsisKeeper-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Due to ongoing health issues, I haven't gotten too far with this in the past few weeks. I am in and out of the hospital looking for answers. I am hoping that it is nothing too serious and I can make up for the lost progress. But for now it is stopped until I am medically capable of continuing this. Still hoping for a mid-June release but we will see what the next week or two brings as far as my health.

Hopefully, when you are better, you can continue this project!

Ps. Praying for you
  • T.C. and Dumpling like this

#17 Offline T.C. - Posted May 19 2022 - 1:11 AM

T.C.

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
Much appreciated guys.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bioscorpion, antkeeping, formicarium, bioscorpion.com, habitat, buy formicarium, keeping ants, buy ant habitat, ants, colonies, light up formicarium, customformicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users