• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this grout safe?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Adamzam15 - Posted April 7 2022 - 12:07 AM

Adamzam15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, is the grout, which I have safe for ants? I plan to use it as a floor with sand for an out world.

Wall Tile & Grout Powder - White 500g https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted April 7 2022 - 12:25 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Not enough there to do much with. Use grout by TEC AccuColor, if you can. I've used it for years. It's the highest quality I have found. Some grouts I found fell apart after they dried. 

• ZTYguy and Adamzam15 like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Adamzam15 - Posted April 7 2022 - 2:46 AM

Adamzam15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Not enough there to do much with. Use grout by TEC AccuColor, if you can. I've used it for years. It's the highest quality I have found. Some grouts I found fell apart after they dried.

Thanks, I will check it out. In the meantime, I have an old outword I made with this. Is it safe for them?

Also, is quartz sand safe for them? What about silica? I am buying normal sand, it I have old ones using these products so I want to check for now.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 7 2022 - 3:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just about any grout, once it is fully cured, is safe for ants. The only ones I’d worry about would ones with anti-mildew or anti-mold chemicals added in. If it is standard grout, you’re fine as long as you give it plenty of time to fully cure and air out. That said, hydrostone is superior to grout for use in ant keeping if you can get it.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 7 2022 - 3:02 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted April 7 2022 - 3:40 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Just about any grout, once it is fully cured, is safe for ants. The only ones I’d worry about would ones with anti-mildew or anti-mold chemicals added in. If it is standard grout, you’re fine as long as you give it plenty of time to fully cure and air out. That said, hydrostone is superior to grout for use in ant keeping if you can get it.

I've found a grout that killed one of my colonies about a year ago from ace hardware. I'll have to see if I can find the name of it.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline Adamzam15 - Posted April 7 2022 - 9:45 AM

Adamzam15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thank you again!

I've found a grout that killed one of my colonies about a year ago from ace hardware. I'll have to see if I can find the name of it.

Oh let me know when you remember

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users