• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

El Mirage Dry Lake bed (near Adelanto, CA) Collected 4/02/2022

ant id veromessor pergandei southern california

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline DustyDoes - Posted April 3 2022 - 6:32 PM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

Collected these two queens on El Mirage Dry Lake, and I suspect they are Veromessor Pergandei. Would somebody mind helping me check if that seems accurate?

Body:
On the periphery of El Mirage Dry Lake bed, around 12pm on April 2nd, 2022, while performing model rocket launches with a high school rocketry team, I noticed these large, black ants that kept trying to hide under our plastic supply bins and by the car tires. I saw a total of about 8, all were wingless except one. I collected the alate and one dealate to bring home. They were walking on the dry lake bed, in mostly featureless, flat areas, seeming to look for cover to hide under.

Length seems to be around 9mm, based on the images I captured of them sitting on the 1cm square grid on my workbench.

Whole body is shiny black, with lots of fine, white hairs in a line along the segments of the gaster.

PXL 20220507 160823789.MP
Album: Veromessor pergandei
14 images
0 comments

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 3 2022 - 8:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Those are indeed veromessor pergandei.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant id, veromessor pergandei, southern california

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users