• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What do you feed your ants?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PaX - Posted March 1 2022 - 6:51 PM

PaX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Soo I've Tried twice to feed my ants a cut up superworm but they completely ignored it.. They would check it out then move on and not eat it really..  Since this is the 4th day since they moved out of the test tube I figured they didn't want any protein yet but on a whim I put a very small piece of a steak in there and they were all over it... So now my mind is racing with questions....

Did they not like the superworm cause it was freshly killed?
Are they just premadonnas and only eat the best protein? 
Is feeding them a uncooked cold piece of beef harmful to them?

the list goes on...   Any thoughts??  

They are a small colony of Camponoutus discolored maybe 100 of them,  I have seen new brood being carried around in the tubes from time to time but they have had no other source of protein only a drop of agave nectar when they first moved in. 

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2022 - 3:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,444 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
All my ants enjoy mealworms, crickets, fruit flies, and dubia roaches. I supplement with any good wild bugs I can find in my yard. I think of meats and egg yolks as more of a supplement.
  • jasond1979 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline OiledOlives - Posted March 2 2022 - 5:29 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Mealworms and superworms are generally not great feeders for ants. If possible, try to get crickets, fruit flies, or roaches. The ants would also benefit from having a constant source of sugars.

• DRpepper likes this

#4 Offline DRpepper - Posted March 2 2022 - 6:25 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I feed my Camponotus a protien diet mostly consisting of crickets, flies and spiders. for sugars they get watered down honey and/or sugar water. that is their whole diet and they have been doing well on it. Some Ants seem to start regecting certain foods if you just always offer the same thing I've never had this problem but some people have.  

#5 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 2 2022 - 6:43 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationOregon

Fruit flies and crickets are my go to proteins. For sugar I use byformica sunburst.

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#6 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 2 2022 - 6:47 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I use mealworms, crickets, and fruit flies as feeders although I only use mealworms for certain colonies like my Tetramorium.  Crickets and fruit flies are my go to feeders.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#7 Offline antsriondel - Posted March 2 2022 - 9:38 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I use ham.

• PaX likes this

#8 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 2 2022 - 7:40 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Dubia roaches, crickets, rehydrated roasted mealworms (primarily for my bird feeders but an occasional food source for my colonies), Sunburst nectar.  

#9 Offline PaX - Posted March 3 2022 - 3:08 PM

PaX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

So most of you give them sugar as a regular food source and proteins once or twice a week?

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 3 2022 - 4:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,444 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I feed protein every day for most of my colonies. Young colonies I may feed every other day.
  • OiledOlives, TacticalHandleGaming, PaX and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#11 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 12 2022 - 12:30 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Fruit flies are basically a 2 in one food source, and super easy to keep. You can feed them adults, larvae, even pupae if the ants are ferocious/hungry enough. Termites are great if you live near woods where there's stones and sticks to turn. Household pests like drugstore beetles (and definitely their larvae as well) are good. Cellar spiders are great, just make sure to prekill, then cut off the legs. Everything I feed to my ants I first freeze, then thaw in scalding water.

Also vary up their sugars as well, you can use the THants nectar, honey (beware of pesticides) and sugar water solution.

Edited by Temperateants, March 12 2022 - 12:34 PM.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#12 Offline PaigeX - Posted March 17 2022 - 4:18 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

First of all, none of my aussie ants will actively eat and enjoy mealworms/superworms. So i do not feed any of them to my ants. I don't care what success other people have with them, but mine don't give a sh!t about them.

Here is what I feed my ants:

Woodie Roaches - AKA Nauphoeta cinerea. For large colonies, I mainly use adults. I then freeze them and cut up into small pieces.

Crickets (Adults) - For large colonies, I do the same as above. 

I then have a container I mix the two into then freeze again. I use that when I need to feed the ants. They love the two kinds of protein together.

Crickets (babies) - Use for starting queens and their colonies. I don't freeze these kind normally. Most times i go to the baby cricket bin and pick what i wanna feed. Kill the insect then put the whole thing into the test tube. As they have very soft exoskeleton almost all of it is eaten.

Honey - Organic honey from the bush, found in shop. I also use honey labeled as bush honey. Bees collect in a different area to the Organic honey, giving it a difference in taste and flavor.

I used to feed honey/sugar water. But with the weather I have it moulds in a day (or few hours) and if you have over 30 queens/small colonies to care for this is the worse. So i just give pure honey and my ants love it.

Last but not least, somethings I give cut up fruit that has been washed before hand.

PS: I've tried feeding termites but they don't touch them.

Edited by PaigeX, March 17 2022 - 4:21 AM.

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#13 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted March 17 2022 - 11:03 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

C r i n c k e t s .

Baby and young crickets are definitely my favourite. Nice and small so I can give a few to larger colonies, or just 1 or 2 to smaller ones. Not too much mess either, mealworms are really annoying to clean up since ants don't eat the skin and also they look gross if you don't take them out after a few days.

(I do feed sugars as well.)

Edited by Leptomyrmx, March 17 2022 - 11:04 PM.

• PaigeX and ColAnt735 like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#14 Offline JCRHJM - Posted March 18 2022 - 12:21 AM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Cut up superworms and mealworms while fresh, sometimes live crickets for myrmecia and rhytidoponera.

Edited by JCRHJM, March 18 2022 - 12:22 AM.

#15 Online Mettcollsuss - Posted March 18 2022 - 4:13 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
For sugars I use sugar water, or Sunburst nectar for when I don't want to bother mixing up my own sugar water.
For protein, I use dubia roaches and superworms. My large Tetramorium colony also gets the occasional frozen pinky mouse as a treat.

#16 Offline NicholasP - Posted March 18 2022 - 8:30 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Soo I've Tried twice to feed my ants a cut up superworm but they completely ignored it.. They would check it out then move on and not eat it really..  Since this is the 4th day since they moved out of the test tube I figured they didn't want any protein yet but on a whim I put a very small piece of a steak in there and they were all over it... So now my mind is racing with questions....

They are a small colony of Camponoutus discolored maybe 100 of them,  I have seen new brood being carried around in the tubes from time to time but they have had no other source of protein only a drop of agave nectar when they first moved in. 

The most likely reason they didn't eat it is just that they don't like it. I've had some ants in the past that are very picky eaters. A good example is Pseudomyrmex pallidus one of the pickiest eaters in the U.S. It's not your fault that they didn't eat it. Although, I would recommend switching over to crickets since mealworms are more fatty than crickets and ants tend to like more lean meat. So, they can survive on mealworms but they don't really thrive on them.

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 18 2022 - 11:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,444 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
All ants I’ve kept here in Virginia like mealworms, but variety is key. Dubias and crickets are definitely better.
Mettcollsuss, those are some lucky Tetras.

#18 Offline Barristan - Posted March 18 2022 - 12:11 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I fed some of my ant colonies raw burger patty and all of them loved it. Raw Minced meat would probably be better since it doesn't contain any extra spices.

#19 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 18 2022 - 5:02 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
I feed my picky(Odontomachus) colonies every day, and will feed them superworms, fruit flies, protein jelly, eggs(if available) and if they can catch them, springtails. For sugar I feed them byformica sunburst(Out of 4 months of observations. I have seen them use it twice…(Probably isn’t nessecary))

My Camponotus Floridanus will not take any table foods, (With the exception of fish) and will not take any room temperature fruits, or meats. They eat fruit flies and superworms usually, and as sugar Byformica sunburst

#20 Offline iulius - Posted March 20 2022 - 1:21 PM

iulius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFrance

For sugars I use sugar water, or Sunburst nectar for when I don't want to bother mixing up my own sugar water.

What is the dilution you use for sugar water? (1:1 ratio in volume between sugar and water?)

White sugar or another kind of sugar (like cane sugar)?

How often do you renew the sugar water? (once a week?)

I've often seen in French forums a recipe of Bhatkar based on vitamines, honey, eggs, milk and agar-agar.  Is it worthwhile giving that besides the suggestions in this discussion?

As for Sunburst nectar, it is a more expansive drink :-/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users