• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sick/dying Camponotus worker

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted March 20 2022 - 2:45 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Last year I bought a C. Ligniperda queen with 6 workers & about 6 larvae. They all made it through hibernation, but when the larvae went to pupate, only one was successful. Two of them turned into...I don't even know? Whatever the two little things on the left are. Seems pretty dead, but the queen and workers are still caring for it like it's brood.

Several weeks ago I saw one of the workers had died. No idea how/why. All the others seemed fine.

They had dragged a mealworm into their nest tube and it went very moldy, so I made them a ytong nest and dumped them in a little under two weeks ago.

Today I saw a worker in their mini outworld acting extremely erratic, it looks to be dying. Walking around like it can't get a grip on the ground, and even when it's standing still, it's legs are shaking.

I tried to upload a video but apparently it's not possible. I'll see if I can upload it to Reddit or somewhere else and then share it, if that's allowed?

I'm worried this is something transmissable to the other workers/queen, or even my other colonies.

The queen and the other workers seem to be acting normal, but I'm very concerned. Any idea what's going on??

Attached Images

• VideoCapture_20220320-112531.jpg

#2 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted March 20 2022 - 4:33 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Here's a video of her:
https://www.reddit.c...tm_source=share

The white powder is talcum that she had knocked off the sides of the outworld & gotten all over herself by thrashing around

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 20 2022 - 7:26 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Could it be pesticides? What have you fed them lately?

#4 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted March 20 2022 - 8:03 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Could it be pesticides? What have you fed them lately?

I don't think so. I only give them sugar water, and insects I've raised myself

Just checked on her & she is dead

Edited by FelixTheAnter, March 20 2022 - 8:03 AM.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 20 2022 - 8:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This happens all the time with Camponotus, unfortunately.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted March 20 2022 - 11:32 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

This happens all the time with Camponotus, unfortunately.

So I shouldn't be worried, as long as the others seem to be okay?

#7 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 20 2022 - 3:33 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I wouldn't say to just completly ignore it but there's not much to do to help. They will probably survive, it usually slows or stops after a while.

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#8 Offline ZTYguy - Posted March 20 2022 - 3:49 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

What temp is the nest at?

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 20 2022 - 6:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t worry about it unless it becomes an excessive amount of deaths. Camponotus are very talented at just dying for no seeming reason in captivity.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users