• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Odontomachus Queen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 21 2022 - 8:47 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
(She didn’t lay eggs for a bit and eat them in January)In December, I captured a queen Odontomachus who was fighting with another Odontomachus(I am sure she is queen Because I have seen her ocelli) She has a damaged antennae(Missing half of it) and seems to have trouble decreeing food… if she is mated and has workers, will this be a problem? Also, I am unaware of the spieces and it is challenging to put a queen under a microscope… She does have all of her eggs in a cluster, but in Aaron’s Journel his queen was unmated and did the same…

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 21 2022 - 8:59 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I've had queens with missing legs or antennae successfully found colonies, so it shouldn’t affect her too much. Odontomachus also have a tendency to lay eggs even when infertile, so you can’t be 100% sure she is fertile until she gets workers.

#3 Offline Daniel - Posted March 21 2022 - 6:20 PM

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFort Mohave, Arizona

I've had queens with missing legs or antennae successfully found colonies, so it shouldn’t affect her too much. Odontomachus also have a tendency to lay eggs even when infertile, so you can’t be 100% sure she is fertile until she gets workers.

I second this first part. I have an Acromyrmex versicolor queen with only one antenna and she gets along and produces just fine.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 21 2022 - 7:35 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Okay! Thanks for the answers. I was worried as she seemed less active then all my other Odontomachus queens.

#5 Offline ZTYguy - Posted March 22 2022 - 3:19 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Okay! Thanks for the answers. I was worried as she seemed less active then all my other Odontomachus queens.

There could always be a difference in activity in different species and even just queen to queen.
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#6 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 28 2022 - 3:50 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
It’s not a full antenna gone, just half… idk if this makes a difference though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users