• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant breeding thread?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline bullyfan - Posted February 8 2022 - 11:12 AM

bullyfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

In a pretty cool development, it looks like the myrmecia queens of antshopaus are actually captive bred and on his facebook page, he has multiple posts detailing the breeding process. Might be good for wild populations and also guarantees that the captive bred queens are fertile and without parasites/diseases from the wild. 

Has anyone tried something similar in the US for a popular species to keep in captivity?

#2 Offline bullyfan - Posted February 8 2022 - 11:14 AM

bullyfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Captive bred ants (hopefully) also have less legal concerns as the risk of them bringing in parasites or disease from the wild is lower if they are bred in a controlled environments. 

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 8 2022 - 1:47 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I actually breed Tapinoma, Aphaenogaster, Stigmatomma, Prenolepis (although Preno from alates, not colonies) among a couple inbreeding species like Monomorium and certain Tetramorium. The latter are pretty well known, and I actually have videos and photos for the former three on the forum, or Instagram I believe

I plan to breed these ones in the near future (and I believe I've figured out) Wasmannia, Temnothorax, Myrmica, Pogonomyrmex, Manica, Tetramorium.

I've also had Lasius and Ponera flights occur in captivity

I will likely try certain Formica, Messor, Forelius, and Myrmecocystus, but I don't have any of the means to do it at the moment.

I'm still trying to polish some of the technique, and will likely release some guides in the future.

Some notes though:

- Lighting is SUPER important, both UV and some parts of the visible light spectrum have an effect (e.g. Tetramorium immigrans seem to start buzzing with UV, but I haven't figured what makes them start mating)

- There appear to be different triggers for swarming vs mating

- Captive breeding appears to be much much easier in a naturalistic setup, and much much much easier when you start from a colony, rather than alates

- For a bunch of species airflow seems to be a factor (particularly since queens "call" males). This could even be done with a very weak fan or a slightly airy room.

- Humidity is a big factor (unsurprisingly)

Each species seems to have different triggers, which is annoying, but light seems to be the most universal

• Antkeeper01 and ISpeakForTheTrees like this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 8 2022 - 11:48 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Captive bred ants (hopefully) also have less legal concerns as the risk of them bringing in parasites or disease from the wild is lower if they are bred in a controlled environments. 

Currently I am raising a multi queen Acromyrmex versicolor colony to alates and plan on getting another colony later this year for attempts on inbreeding. The ant species for sure I will be performing an inbreeding experiment on which I will also record the steps for to see if they're Oligynous is my two Camponotus pudorosus colonies.

#5 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 9 2022 - 1:20 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I actually breed Tapinoma, Aphaenogaster, Stigmatomma, Prenolepis (although Preno from alates, not colonies) among a couple inbreeding species like Monomorium and certain Tetramorium. The latter are pretty well known, and I actually have videos and photos for the former three on the forum, or Instagram I believe

I plan to breed these ones in the near future (and I believe I've figured out) Wasmannia, Temnothorax, Myrmica, Pogonomyrmex, Manica, Tetramorium.

I will likely try certain Formica, Messor, Forelius, and Myrmecocystus, but I don't have any of the means to do it at the moment.

I'm still trying to polish some of the technique, and will likely release some guides in the future.

Some notes though:

- Lighting is SUPER important, both UV and some parts of the visible light spectrum have an effect (e.g. Tetramorium immigrans seem to start buzzing with UV, but I haven't figured what makes them start mating)

- Captive breeding appears to be much much easier in a naturalistic setup, and much much much easier when you start from a colony, rather than alates

- For a bunch of species airflow seems to be a factor (particularly since queens "call" males). This could even be done with a very weak fan or a slightly airy room.

Each species seems to have different triggers, which is annoying, but light seems to be the most universal

Is it legal to breed 2 ant colonies together in a state where they aren't native if you have the PPQ 526 for that species?

Edited by NicholasP, February 9 2022 - 1:21 PM.

#6 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted March 8 2022 - 9:07 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Some notes though:

How do Stigmatomma reproduce? I'm curious.

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users