• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test tube size ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bern - Posted January 8 2022 - 7:42 PM

Bern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho, USA

Going to get  more test tubes.  These will be primarily used for the first few weeks of a queens new home.

Want to try and get some kind of order, rather than more misc. bottles, tubes  jugs, jars, etc.

There are many sizes available.  What do you use ?    What size seems to works the best ?

#2 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 8 2022 - 7:58 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Usually people use sizes ranging from 14-20 millimetres in diameter. I like 18mm the best, but it really depends on what species you plan on keeping. As for length, longer test tubes have more volume, so the water reservoir will last longer then a short test tube. Short test tubes are are easier to directly place in out worlds and small container though. Again, it depends on what you are planning to do after the founding stage.

• PaigeX likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#3 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 9 2022 - 1:29 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I found 20mm the best for housing colony's of a larger size and 15-18mm best for the founding stage. 

I also find it hard to get 100mm long test tubes and all I can find in AUS are 150mm tubes. any that are 100mm are 13mm size. Great for small queens but not the larger Polyrhachis i keep.

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 9 2022 - 7:27 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

16 x 150 is the standard, and works for the majority of species.

• ANTdrew, OiledOlives and PaigeX like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 9 2022 - 7:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Besides size, try to get glass tubes if you can. They scratch less and tend to hold water longer.
  • PaigeX likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Bern - Posted January 9 2022 - 7:45 AM

Bern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho, USA

Now both of you have peaked my curiosity.  From the queens point of view, is there sometimes  a preference for the smaller diameter tubes and why, or is this a preference of yours for storage, care, or something else?  Why not just go with the bigger tubes for all species?  

I'm trying not to be argumentative, but rather trying to understand  a little more about  the life of the ants.

Thanks

• PaigeX likes this

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 9 2022 - 10:02 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Now both of you have peaked my curiosity. From the queens point of view, is there sometimes a preference for the smaller diameter tubes and why, or is this a preference of yours for storage, care, or something else? Why not just go with the bigger tubes for all species?

I'm trying not to be argumentative, but rather trying to understand a little more about the life of the ants.

Thanks

Yes, some genera prefer smaller nests (in this case test tubes). An example is Pseudomyrmex. They generally nest inside twigs, and a smaller test tube is better at mimicking twigs than a large tube.

#8 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 9 2022 - 12:04 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Now both of you have peaked my curiosity.  From the queens point of view, is there sometimes  a preference for the smaller diameter tubes and why, or is this a preference of yours for storage, care, or something else?  Why not just go with the bigger tubes for all species?  

I'm trying not to be argumentative, but rather trying to understand  a little more about  the life of the ants.

Thanks

well, if I would to say. I'm digging around a gum tree and find a Camponotus Aeneopilosus starting chamber. its normally only 20-30mm long and 10-16mm high. Same with Polyrhachis Ammon. So they like a smaller chamber to start out in. These ants are around 10-13mm long so a test tube of 15-18mm wide is great for them. The test tube mimics the natural chambers they make in the wild. Moist, humid and of right size. After they grow with more workers they naturally make larger chambers and tunnels. that's when us ant keepers give them starting nests and an outworld.

The smaller the ant size, the smaller the chamber is made in the wild. Say, if I had a queen ant only 5mm long, I'm not gonna put her in a 15-20mm tube. Its simply too much space for her. However many small queens will still found in those sizes purely because they have no were else to go. for them you go the mini route, 13mm wide and 100mm long test tube.  

Edited by PaigeX, January 9 2022 - 12:10 PM.

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users