• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help : Investigating a worker death after eating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pat92 - Posted December 23 2021 - 4:04 PM

Pat92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi there i got the founding stage of a Myrmecocystus colony going well.

I had 2 nanitics and 3 cocoon plus tons of eggs and some larvae.

However today i wanted to add some food for my ants.

I usually fed them water some flies and some hummingbird nectar and it went well.

I decided to try some new things added some mandarin juice and in another feeder some hummingbird nectar with a tiny drop of blue food colorant.

So one of the two nanitics the one which used to go forage for food was found like being paralysed with little spams he then died.

I felt so guilty after this. I immediately removed the feeders and i think he didn't made tropholaxis with the queen and the other nanitic.

What's your guess about it ? the colorant or the mandarin juice ? Or could it be that the nanitic died of something else like old age ? (i had it for around 2-3 months).

Any advices to avoid this kind of situation ? 

Edited by Pat92, December 23 2021 - 4:07 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 24 2021 - 9:02 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Some of that stuff you fed them could have pesticides in it, most notably the mandarin juice or food coloring.
  • Antkeeper01, Chickalo and PaigeX like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 24 2021 - 10:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Agreed. Never feed your ants commercial fruits unless they are organic.
  • Manitobant, Antkeeper01, Chickalo and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users