• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Tierlist

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 30 2021 - 9:26 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
What's up I've been away from the forum and the hobby for a bit but I'm back at it now.

I've seen YouTube videos of putting animals and insects in tierlists from worst to best.
I wanna know which ants would be in F tier as the worst species in yalls experience/opinion.
We can also talk about the best ones but I don't know too many really bad ones off the top of my head so I'm interested in your input.
  • Antkeeper01 and eea like this

#2 Offline eea - Posted October 31 2021 - 7:57 AM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

linepithema humile F tier

• Antkeeper01 likes this

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#3 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 31 2021 - 4:20 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

On the tierlists I was watching they were judged by their abilities so a highly invasive and wide spread species would be B or A I'm wondering if there are ants that are just bad at what they do or have adaptations that become obsolete

#4 Offline eea - Posted October 31 2021 - 5:11 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

i don't think there's ants that are bad at what they do

• AntaholicAnonymous and KadinB like this

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#5 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 31 2021 - 6:33 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

There are no ants that are bad at what they do tbh. You can only judge them based on how much you like them. For an F I would say RIFA or L. humile.

• AntaholicAnonymous likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#6 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted October 31 2021 - 8:58 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Yeah L. humile is the only one I can think of that gets an F from me. Super annoying. They killed off this huge Iridomyrmex (not meat ant) colony in my grandmother's backyard. Iridomyrmex are common here but it was cool seeing such a huge colony.

Judged on how much I like them by the way.

totally don't have a sudden urge to keep a giant 1000+ queen colony of linepithema humile now

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#7 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 31 2021 - 9:03 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I posted a comment that the YouTuber has to make an ant Tierlist next and 3.6k people liked it.
Noone was able to come up with a bad species. I think ants have such a high competition among other ant colonies that the bad ones just got extinct long ago.
If it's not other ants it's crazy environments like the dessert. Ants are the kings of adaptations.

RIFA are hated but only because they kick [censored] and cause a lit of damage. They are in S Tier in abilities but we hate them on a deeper level

Edited by AntaholicAnonymous, October 31 2021 - 9:15 PM.

#8 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 31 2021 - 9:41 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Monomorium pharaohnis are my least favourite species so I will place them in F tier. Why? Because they literally killed 90% of my mealworms and caused a food shortage in my ant room :ugone2far: . They even went their way into a colony of Colobopsis and killed them too. :mad2:

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#9 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 1 2021 - 5:34 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

On the tierlists I was watching they were judged by their abilities so a highly invasive and wide spread species would be B or A I'm wondering if there are ants that are just bad at what they do or have adaptations that become obsolete

Judging from performance in the wild or captivity?

• AntaholicAnonymous likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#10 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 2 2021 - 4:19 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Performance in the wild. F tier in captivity is an easier question id say. lol

#11 Offline Chickalo - Posted November 2 2021 - 11:26 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

S tier: Lasius- hey, don't judge, you dream about your Atta and I'll dream about my polymorphic Psuedolasius.

A tier: Myrmica rubra, they have cool food responses (queens will come out to drink honey before workers inevitably pull them back in lol), look cool, polygynous, somewhat polymorphic, grow moderate, forage frequently.

B tier:  Aphaenogaster picea, look nice, I think queens are quite pretty.  Current colony is pretty chill and I like them quite a bit.

C tier:  Ponera pennsylvanica, pretty cute imo, longth and fun to watch slither while eating.

D tier:  Tetramorium immigrans, middle grounds.  Kind of small and not polygynous, but still have somewhat interesting behaviours.  Fun to watch feed.

E tier:  Prenolepis imparis, admittedly fun to watch in the wild, however founding is slow.  Queens are beautiful though, the founding bit is why it's E and not D or C.  I really hate waiting through founding.

F tier:  Solenopsis molesta, literally no.  Escape artists, extremely small, only good thing is polygynous, which isn't good when they're escape artists and extremely small.

Also, on AKE they make some genus specific tier lists iirc.

Edited by Chickalo, November 2 2021 - 11:26 AM.

• Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#12 Offline ExponentMars - Posted November 2 2021 - 6:52 PM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I hate L. Humile because they're the reason that the only ants in my area are L. Humile. They killed off many of the native ants in my area, so I have to drive far to find actually good ants :( 

• Antkeeper01 likes this
Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#13 Offline ExponentMars - Posted November 2 2021 - 6:55 PM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

S tier: Lasius- hey, don't judge, you dream about your Atta and I'll dream about my polymorphic Psuedolasius.

A tier: Myrmica rubra, they have cool food responses (queens will come out to drink honey before workers inevitably pull them back in lol), look cool, polygynous, somewhat polymorphic, grow moderate, forage frequently.

B tier:  Aphaenogaster picea, look nice, I think queens are quite pretty.  Current colony is pretty chill and I like them quite a bit.

C tier:  Ponera pennsylvanica, pretty cute imo, longth and fun to watch slither while eating.

D tier:  Tetramorium immigrans, middle grounds.  Kind of small and not polygynous, but still have somewhat interesting behaviours.  Fun to watch feed.

E tier:  Prenolepis imparis, admittedly fun to watch in the wild, however founding is slow.  Queens are beautiful though, the founding bit is why it's E and not D or C.  I really hate waiting through founding.

F tier:  Solenopsis molesta, literally no.  Escape artists, extremely small, only good thing is polygynous, which isn't good when they're escape artists and extremely small.

Also, on AKE they make some genus specific tier lists iirc.

Hmm... so prenolepis is good? I guess I'll try to catch some this winter then. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this
Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#14 Offline Nare - Posted November 3 2021 - 3:39 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Formica ulkei is the pinnacle of ant evolution and if you disagree you're wrong.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#15 Offline Chickalo - Posted November 3 2021 - 5:26 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Formica ulkei is the pinnacle of ant evolution and if you disagree you're wrong.

Lasius latipes is better 

シグナチャーです。예.

#16 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 4 2021 - 12:14 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
My personal S tier for ant keeping are manica rubida by far.
Big [censored] red ants who are the best for natural tanks and dig all day long.
A lot of surface activity, they are great solo and team hunters and very easy to keep happy and very entertaining to watch cause they are always up to something and didn't even attempt to escape once. They can climb glass but not very well I didn't even renew the old [censored] fluon because they are happy with the large tank and don't even test it.

Also non ant keepers are impressed by them because of their size and mean look. Just they way they run around looks like they are out to kill. Its hard to get anyone excited about a lasius Niger colony that's not that interested in ants in general.

For natural tanks camponotus would be F for me they just hide too much
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 4 2021 - 1:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Woah! You’re back!
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#18 Offline antscientist - Posted November 4 2021 - 11:53 AM

antscientist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

S - Camponotus   one of the biggest ants! And this species is one of the first species I've ever kept!

A - Prenolepis       really nice species of ants no aggression in this colony their more like lasius ants but better...

B - Lasius             nice all native and one of the best beginner species

C - Formica          Eh not too bad. A little bit too fast and they get stressed easily and they are really messy.

D - Tetramorium   Tetramorium aren't the best species in my opinion their behavior is a bit like solenopsis ants and their stings hurt a bit

E - Solenopsis      Should actually be near the A-C tier...But their stings hurt and they are escape artists but other than that, they're pretty fun ants to keep

F - Formica.            PLS don't QUESTION THIS.....

• Ecan likes this

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 4 2021 - 5:39 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
F Tier- Tapinoma sessile
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#20 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 4 2021 - 5:41 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Someone has been watching tierzoo…

If we are going by his logic, almost all ants are S tier due to eusociality being a broken strategy. The only bad ants ability wise would probably be stuff like workerless inquilines.

Edited by Manitobant, November 4 2021 - 5:44 PM.

• Mettcollsuss, CheetoLord02, Somethinghmm and 5 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users