• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

MDF Ant nests?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antgallery - Posted November 19 2021 - 5:54 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

I was just wondering, has anyone ever tried to make an ant nest out of MDF? It seems like it would be alright for dry loving ants like Camponotus. And it seems tough enough for them to not be able to chew through.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 20 2021 - 2:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
WTF is MDF?
Just messing with you, but I’ve never heard this acronym before. Can you elaborate?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline antgallery - Posted November 20 2021 - 10:52 AM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

MDF is an acronym for Medium Density Fiberboard. It's basically a bunch of wood fiber's glued together and compressed to make a soft wood/cardboard kind of thing.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 20 2021 - 11:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

MDF is an acronym for Medium Density Fiberboard. It's basically a bunch of wood fiber's glued together and compressed to make a soft wood/cardboard kind of thing.

I see. I guess the answer would depend on what glues they use, and if they are toxic or not.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline ReignofRage - Posted November 20 2021 - 11:11 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Considering it can be insect-resistant depending on the chemicals used in it, I wouldn't use it unless you know exactly what's in it.

#6 Offline m99 - Posted November 20 2021 - 11:53 AM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

MDF is only even safe for people in the sense that we live in a world of constant low-level toxic exposures that we deem acceptable, so.

It's literally made by marinating wood particles in a variety of chemicals, and that's before adding any additional preservatives or insecticides, so I just wouldn't even attempt it as permanent living for something as tiny and sensitive as an ant.

Edited by m99, November 20 2021 - 1:27 PM.

#7 Offline antgallery - Posted November 20 2021 - 4:37 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Okay, thanks for all your answers! I think I'll just stick with wood for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users