• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camp. queens that had a bad start.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GB.Mike - Posted November 15 2021 - 1:02 AM

GB.Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey y’all. 
  I have 5 Camponotus queens that had been in the same test tubes since spring without food, water, heat and at some point ran out of water completely in the tube. 
 All have new test tubes, are on heat, have eaten 2 fruit flys and drank honey water over the last 3days. 

All have brood, ranging from 1-6. I’ve seen the brood mouths moving through a microscope (alive). The brood have probably been slowed/stalled in development because of temperature they had been living in. 

One queen produced an egg today which is now stuck to the side of her abdomen (not pictured)

Anything else I should be doing?

advice, thoughts and questions welcome. 

Also any chance they will produce more eggs and potentially workers this year? Living in Utah. Freezing temperatures outside, but again the queens have heat 

Attached Images

• E8C9B65A-95D5-4575-B857-0E186679467A.jpeg
  • D0F813CE-1518-4C43-AAF0-9CB511BBB7AF.jpeg

Edited by GB.Mike, November 15 2021 - 1:07 AM.

#2 Offline GB.Mike - Posted November 15 2021 - 1:40 AM

GB.Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Should have said Larvae in place of brood. 

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 15 2021 - 10:20 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I’d put some of them into hibernation, as their biological clock is probably telling them its time, even though they are heated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users