• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fungus Is Growing in Formicarium During Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Redmoth27 - Posted November 22 2021 - 2:05 PM

Redmoth27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I'm worried. Every time I go to moisten the formicarium to keep the hibernation running smooth I see a white fungus growing. The formicarium is a circular container with dirt and a large rock in the center, along with tubes for water. The ants live under the dirt and the fungus is spreading on top of the dirt. It somehow got in and it's spreading. Should I remove it and if so how? Will it hurt my ants or their larvae if it grows deep enough? My ants are Tetramorium immigrans btw. 

#2 Offline AntTitan - Posted November 22 2021 - 4:03 PM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationKuna, Idaho, USA

There is many different types of funguses that and molds that can start growing in your formicarium, but unless you have a specific fungus growing species like leafcutter ants, funguses and molds are almost always a bad thing, or at least not a good thing. While some funguses may not harm or do anything to your ants, it's extremely hard to know whether any certain fungus will harm your colony or not until it's to late. Either way, unless you are trying to make a bioactive enclosure fungus won't help your ants in any way. My advice is to remove the fungus while you can just to be safe.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 22 2021 - 5:07 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Either open up the nest and remove the fungus or move the ants to a new nest. Judging by how you are describing it, this is probably the type of fungus that kills ants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users