• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

M. mexicanus

new help california

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Castle - Posted November 11 2021 - 9:20 PM

Castle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I’m starting on my very first colony of myrmecocystus mexicanus and I was wondering if I should watch out for anything, (I understand they’re finicky.) I also wanted to know when I should move them to a larger nest

#2 Offline SoySauce - Posted November 12 2021 - 6:16 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Yes, they are a relatively harder species to rear so don’t get discouraged if you’re not successful with this first (or few) attempts. A lot of people aren’t either. I would recommend to keep them well heated. They love wingless fruit flies, and keep sugar water (like diluted hummingbird nectar) as well as regular water always available. Assuming they’re founded in test tubes, I wouldn’t upgrade their housing to a larger setup until there are at least around a dozen workers. Then you can place them into a small formicarium like the THA mini hearth. GL with them and let us know if you have anymore questions.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, help, california

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users