• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aggression after move

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Worrawalan - Posted October 27 2021 - 6:23 AM

Worrawalan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I bought a 3 Queen colony of camponotus nicobarensis ants about 3 months ago I think they had about 6 workers, so to begin with I kept them in a bamboo test tube. They have now grown needing a new nest so did the transfer about 2 days ago all went well but last night noticed a workers running around fast in the outworld within an hour one workers had grabbed hold by one leg and by this morning was almost dead I have now found the same again with another worker being held by the leg.
When they was in the bamboo tube with small box outworld I never noticed this type of behaviour so just wondered if anyone here knows what might be going on.

Regards Gary
  • TestSubjectOne and Antkeeper01 like this

#2 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 27 2021 - 12:01 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

probably stress... the bamboo test tube can actually be used much longer than expected. Most colonies die because ant keepers move them too early. You should move them back

• Antkeeper01 likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted October 27 2021 - 1:02 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

I agree, it's probably stress, but I would be careful of moving the colony back into their old nest. One move already puts a lot of stress on a colony, a second move, even to their old nest, may exacerbate the colony's situation. I would keep the colony in the nest they are in now. If the workers continue to attack, perhaps try cooling them, or providing more sugar, both of which sometimes help lower aggressive tendencies among workers.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 27 2021 - 3:36 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I agree, it's probably stress, but I would be careful of moving the colony back into their old nest. One move already puts a lot of stress on a colony, a second move, even to their old nest, may exacerbate the colony's situation. I would keep the colony in the nest they are in now. If the workers continue to attack, perhaps try cooling them, or providing more sugar, both of which sometimes help lower aggressive tendencies among workers.

I do think the tube may be too big tho. Larger tubes cause stress if the colony feels exposed. I think they should add a little soil so the ants can modify the tube interior

• UtahAnts likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#5 Offline Worrawalan - Posted October 28 2021 - 11:36 AM

Worrawalan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for all your comments and advice I’m please to say things have settled down and they seem to be a lot better now😄

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users