• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

THG's 2nd Pogonomyrmex occidentalis journal

45 replies to this topic

#41 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted January 15 2023 - 9:05 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

This colony has also slowed a bit, but does still have brood. In the second photo, the Queen is eating a dandelion seed.

med_gallery_5988_2150_200528.jpg

med_gallery_5988_2150_1955366.jpg

• ANTdrew and KadinB like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#42 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted January 16 2023 - 9:20 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

I'm about to be the warden of a Pogonomyrmex colony from THA soon myself. I am starting in a regular mini and have a fallen fortress ready to go when they need the room. I'm going to use the out world from it with the mini right away sense the nest is detachable.
I'm curious what your growth rate is, how much time do you image your fallen fortress is going to be enough room for them?

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#43 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted January 16 2023 - 10:33 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

I'm about to be the warden of a Pogonomyrmex colony from THA soon myself. I am starting in a regular mini and have a fallen fortress ready to go when they need the room. I'm going to use the out world from it with the mini right away sense the nest is detachable.
I'm curious what your growth rate is, how much time do you image your fallen fortress is going to be enough room for them?

It really depends on how much protein you give them. They can live on just seeds, but if you give them stuff like fruit flies, crickets, fish food flakes, etc... Their growth rate is a lot higher. If your starting with a queen and 20 workers, a fallen fortress could be good for about 6 months or so at least.

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

Looking for

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

#44 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 7 2024 - 6:19 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

This colony is still going. Just has never taken off quite like my older colony. I may move them to a different home soon to clean their current nest out.

med_gallery_5988_2150_1702337.jpg

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#45 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 23 2024 - 8:21 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

This colony is starting to do better now. We have some nice healthy larvae, and lots of new eggs!

med_gallery_5988_2150_51435.jpg

med_gallery_5988_2150_1137891.jpg

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#46 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 6 2024 - 9:46 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

We now have several pupae, lots of larvae, and a fresh batch of eggs!

med_gallery_5988_2150_1215159.jpg

• Ernteameise likes this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users