• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID Paris, France 06/07/15

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline bibiwood - Posted July 6 2015 - 1:36 PM

bibiwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi,

Can you help me id my queens ?
I collected them on 29/06, in a city 15km south of Paris, France.
I strongly think they come from colonies living in the cracks in the pavement.
The only distinctive thing I can see is that the thorax and abdomen is pretty shiny.

Thanks,

1436218784-dscn3033.png

1436218508-dscn3041.png

Edited by bibiwood, July 6 2015 - 1:42 PM.

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted July 6 2015 - 2:55 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

My guesses are Lasius and Formica. Are you sure you can't add more, like size/length, habitat, behaviour etc?

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 6 2015 - 4:42 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
That looks like a Formica queen. Was she surrounded by workers? Do to her gaster size It looks like she is from an established colony,..

#4 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 7 2015 - 3:16 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

It's a Lasius cf flavus queeen, if I saw it right. I can't open the big pictures, because the site is blocked :(

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#5 Offline James C. Trager - Posted July 7 2015 - 9:16 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Nice pictures.
I agree, she a Lasius, but I'm leaning more toward the European version of L. alienus or L. brunneus.

• Miles likes this

#6 Offline bibiwood - Posted July 7 2015 - 1:43 PM

bibiwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

My guesses are Lasius and Formica. Are you sure you can't add more, like size/length, habitat, behaviour etc?

That looks like a Formica queen. Was she surrounded by workers? Do to her gaster size It looks like she is from an established colony,..

Sorry if my post was not clear enough.

One evening coming home, I noticed a lot of queen flying and crawling on the pavement, some still with their wings.

I went home to take my test tubes and collected three queens on the pavement, so their are not from established colony, but two of them started lying eggs.

For the habitat, I strongly think they come from the numerous colony I can observe living in the cracks in the pavement.

It's a Lasius cf flavus queeen, if I saw it right. I can't open the big pictures, because the site is blocked :(

Does other people have problems accessing the pictures ?

I uploaded the pictures there too: http://imgur.com/a/IvbeF#0

You can see them full size by clicking on the top right corner of the picture. 

Nice pictures.
I agree, she a Lasius, but I'm leaning more toward the European version of L. alienus or L. brunneus.

Thanks.

I took a look at ants wiki and L. alienus seems more likely for the habitat: "open dry situations, nesting under stones and occasionally constructing crater entrances in open soil". That match pretty closely with hot and dry crack in the pavement, and the colonies I saw make small crater entrances.

I don't think they live in trees.

They started laying eggs, how long do you think I have before the first workers and I need to transfer them to a bigger nest ?

#7 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 7 2015 - 4:03 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
It should take about two months for Lasius.

#8 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 8 2015 - 11:34 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Lasius brunneus nest in trees and have a reddish thorax. I found queens which I think are L. brunneus and they are smaller than other Lasius queens and also have a longer gaster.

Here's a picture of a queen and worker. http://www.antwiki.o...us_brunneus.jpg

#9 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 9 2015 - 6:05 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Thanks for the new upload. I think it's the antivirus in our office, that blocks the site.

I have something to correct now. It is  definetly not a Lasius flavus and I don't even think, it's a Lasius niger. I have never seen a dealate Lasius, which is so physogastric. She is also more shiny black than Lasius niger.

L alienus could be right.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#10 Offline bibiwood - Posted November 11 2015 - 12:16 PM

bibiwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I finaly managed to do some better pictures of the queen:

1447272371-dsc00244.png

1447272375-dsc00279.png

1447272710-dsc00179res.png

More details on the workers:

1447271617-dsc00285.png

1447273609-dsc00240.png

You can click on the pictures to display them in full size (warning it's big files).

edit: and the imgur album if there is any problem http://imgur.com/a/AWJkl

Edited by bibiwood, November 11 2015 - 12:34 PM.

• Jeoff82 likes this

#11 Offline bibiwood - Posted April 6 2017 - 11:20 PM

bibiwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I made some better pictures, from a flight from last year, I believe it's the same species.

It's a pretty small species, they are housed in 16mm tube, the queen seems to be around 8mm and the worker less than 3mm.

faGXcDn.jpg

56ilsV4.jpg

• LC3 likes this

#12 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 9 2017 - 2:02 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Lasius niger
  • bibiwood likes this

YJK

#13 Offline bibiwood - Posted April 10 2017 - 6:42 AM

bibiwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks

The previous suggestion was Lasius Alienus, do you know of any way to separate Lasius Alienus and Lasius Niger ?
They seem to be pretty close, with maybe the hairiness varying.

#14 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 10 2017 - 6:58 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Thanks

The previous suggestion was Lasius Alienus, do you know of any way to separate Lasius Alienus and Lasius Niger ?
They seem to be pretty close, with maybe the hairiness varying.

Lasius niger has erect hairs on the antennal scapes, whereas Lasius alienus and L. brunneus do not. I can't see the scapes too well.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 10 2017 - 6:58 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users