• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brood Boosting Atta Texana?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antscientist - Posted October 11 2021 - 10:07 AM

antscientist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have an atta texana colony and I really want to try to brood boost them. Since atta ants are fungus-farming ants, I don't really know if I should brood boost them using a heating mat or a heating cable. If I do brood boosting using that way, the conditions might be too hot for the fungus. Idk. Pls tell me how to brood boost atta ants. Couldn't find that much info on the internet. :( I also got them from ants emporium as that they don't live where I live.

Edited by antscientist, October 12 2021 - 4:21 AM.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 11 2021 - 10:11 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
First of all, NEVER heat fungus growing ants. It always goes badly.

As for your question, you could probably boost them like any other ant, just tossing pupae in the outworld and they will carry it into the nest.
  • CheetoLord02 and United-Ants like this

#3 Offline antscientist - Posted October 11 2021 - 10:27 AM

antscientist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

First of all, NEVER heat fungus growing ants. It always goes badly.

As for your question, you could probably boost them like any other ant, just tossing pupae in the outworld and they will carry it into the nest.

thanks.

#4 Offline mmcguffi - Posted October 11 2021 - 10:27 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

+1 to never heating

In my experience, the colonies that I brood boosted (and worker boosted!) had a much higher successful founding rate -- I very much recommend it. Furthermore, "fungus-boosting" helps a ton as well, because many of the queens will not have viable fungal pellets. I recommend boosting every queen with a pea-size of fungus. In my (anecdotal) tests this year, the more fungus and workers I boosted with, the more success I had

All this said, almost all American Atta texana colonies should be well past founding this year, and thus no need for boosting. The only populations (that I know of) that fly twice a year are in Mexico or are near the Mexican border.

Here is my journal if it is of any help: https://www.formicul...-08-15-mmcguffi

and here is a helpful thread by Cheeto: https://www.formicul...afcutter-ants™/

• CheetoLord02 and United-Ants like this

#5 Offline antscientist - Posted October 11 2021 - 10:33 AM

antscientist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

+1 to never heating

In my experience, the colonies that I brood boosted (and worker boosted!) had a much higher successful founding rate -- I very much recommend it. Furthermore, "fungus-boosting" helps a ton as well, because many of the queens will not have viable fungal pellets. I recommend boosting every queen with a pea-size of fungus. In my (anecdotal) tests this year, the more fungus and workers I boosted with, the more success I had

All this said, almost all American Atta texana colonies should be well past founding this year, and thus no need for boosting. The only populations (that I know of) that fly twice a year are in Mexico or are near the Mexican border.

Here is my journal if it is of any help: https://www.formicul...-08-15-mmcguffi

and here is a helpful thread by Cheeto: https://www.formicul...afcutter-ants™/

oh ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users