• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Don't put ants in diapause with pupa or eggs. ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted October 3 2021 - 4:08 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I've been told by an "expert" at reddit that "you shouldn't put ants in diapause who still have pupa or eggs" I understand that pupae that don't eclose before diapause probably won't make it. Some eggs might, maybe some larva. But, I also know that none of my colonies have naturally slowed down... even though it's getting cold outside where we live. 

Anyway my fridge is at a mild 66F and I plan on taking them our for feeding for the next few weeks and lowering the temp and just observing. 

They all have lots of eggs and pupae. 

I also know that most camponotus do badly without diapause. 

I'm hoping the exposure to mild cold will trigger the queen to slow down a bit. Maybe a few more of the last pupae can eclose. 

I just feel like they'd be out all winter if I wait for the eggs and pupae to stop before exposing them to any cold. 

Also it's HOT in my apartment. We have that overpowered steam heat you find in Bronx apartments. It's like 85 in here all winter. 

• m99 likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted October 3 2021 - 4:26 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I have very mixed emotions about reddit. I feel like people are very ... negative and bossy... and often also wrong there. 

Anyway here is a funny video of me being bad at using an aspirator. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 3 2021 - 6:18 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Pretty sure larvae is the only brood that can survive the cool conditions of winter.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 3 2021 - 6:24 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yes, eggs and pupae will die in hibernation. Wait for the pupae to eclose into workers and the eggs to hatch into larvae before hibernating.
  • eea and futurebird like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users