• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

THE MANY TUBES (fall flight of p. imparis

prenolepis imparis canada nuptial flight toronto test tubes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mantisgal - Posted September 24 2021 - 9:57 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
Some week or two ago I came home to see Prenny nests I'd marked and caught queens from in the spring just Boiling with alates. Yes, really.

B U T

I had to do a thing like, immediately after work and was off again. By the time I returned the boiling had subsided to a low simmer, but I could see Queens trotting about. I made up 7 tubes and grabbed my pooter. Grabbed a bunch as well as some males. Threw 4 or 5 queens, wings, no wings, whatever, into each tube.

Well.

It looks like fall flight alates are angsty and don't like too many friends in the chamber. Sigh. So many bits all over the tubes. Will have to do a proper count later.

But anyway, I have Too Many Ants now. Whoops.

Edited by mantisgal, September 24 2021 - 9:58 AM.

• m99 likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 24 2021 - 11:13 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
You sure they aren’t lasius? To my knowledge prenolepis only fly in the spring.

#3 Offline mantisgal - Posted September 24 2021 - 11:38 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
There are allegedly fall flights depending on conditions, plus for more information please re-read. They were coming from nests I had already had prennies out of. THE CALLS WERE COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 24 2021 - 1:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Photos of the new queens to verify?
  • Manitobant and KadinB like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prenolepis imparis, canada, nuptial flight, toronto, test tubes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users