• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

"cruel to ants"

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Formiga - Posted September 23 2021 - 7:46 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Some fellow ant keeper here has a signature that I've noticed today, it goes something like: "People are stupid. That explains a lot!"

I'm happy with that signature, it's long been a core philosophy of mine. :D

Thanks for showing up your head! Not for a whack, but for a petting. :D

Also thanks for the aphorism and the life lesson; and now I know whom to quote. (y)

• TestSubjectOne likes this

#22 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted September 23 2021 - 10:53 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Reddit is honestly a cesspool for antkeeping. Even on the main ant subreddits there's very few experienced people and a whole lot of kids who like to think they know what they're talking about. Myself and some friends even made a new subreddit specifically for ID (r/antidentification) and it's even gotten swarmed recently with the reddit kids throwing out random species names for any ant they see. It's a lot of fun going through and removing all the posts with wrong IDs so that the poster doesn't get confused.

TikTok also seems pretty bad. Most of the larger "ant TikTokers" are either relatively inexperienced themselves, or dumb down the info so much that the general crowd of the app can understand and enjoy it. Which of course, fine, but it makes antkeeping as a whole look vastly different from how it actually is. This is the same issue that I have with AntsCanada over on Youtube.

It's so true. I once commented on one of AC's videos saying trap-jaw ants (he caught a trap-jaw ant queen recently) need substrate for their larvae and like 90% of people who replied said 'boost' and one of them even said I'm stupid.
I think I saw that comment. I kinda feel bad for you because most of the antsanada fans are uneducated kids that think they know a lot. It's honestly painful for me because I have never dealt with people like that much and it's plain annoying. I really hope people actually grow a brain or else humanity may very well be doomed.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • SYUTEO likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users