• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Aphaenogaster treatae Journal - Jord

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 3 2022 - 10:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I agree with arman, this is definitely treatae. Flight also matches, exceeding hot day in july. They take off when the clouds pass over according to a few sources. I believe this is the first A. treatae colony I have seen that was founded from a single queen.

I agree with this as well. The ants definitely have the big lobes at the base of the scape mentioned here:
https://mississippie...ter.treatae.htm

I like the colony even more now.
  • Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 3 2022 - 11:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Here’s a photo of the lobes:

Attached Images

• F3FA058F-CF99-41AF-8C01-252FFF92CD20.jpeg

• Antkeeper01 and FinWins like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#23 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 3 2022 - 11:32 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Those lobes make her look a lot like Aphaenogaster treatae to me. 

• Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and lazyant like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 10 2022 - 7:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3/10/2022

After some super sleuths on here noted the large lobes on the bases of these ants' antennae, it came to light that this colony is actually Aphaenogaster treatae. I'd never even heard of this species before, so it's been a nice discovery for me. There are basically no records of people keeping them on this forum, nor is there much info on the rest of the interweb (no surprise there). This journal will aim to change that!

The colony is thriving! I watched Jord laying an egg the other day, and the other brood continue to develop. Two of the larvae have pupated, which is really quick since I woke them up just three weeks ago. I continue feeding these every other day with hemp hearts, dubia roach bits, and a few earwigs I found in my yard. I'm heating them with a heat cable wrapped around their mini-hearth and taped to the front glass.

IMG 2115

IMG 2116

IMG 2117

Edited by ANTdrew, March 10 2022 - 7:18 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, Antkeeper01 and 5 others like this

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2022 - 8:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Amazing colony! We just have rudis, tennesseensis, and sometimes picea. I love the coloring of treatae.

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#26 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 10 2022 - 3:54 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I honestly don't know why I never saw the lobes. Great looking queen!

• ANTdrew likes this

#27 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted March 10 2022 - 5:04 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I've been looking at Aphaenogaster for a while and have actively searching for the only species in Malaysia, Aphaenogaster feae. Unfortunately, they seem quite rare. I love the genus because of their long legs and interesting queens.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): ★ Camponotus irritans inferior, ★ Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, ★ Nylanderia sp., ★ Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), ★ Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#28 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted March 15 2022 - 11:36 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Update 3/10/2022

After some super sleuths on here noted the large lobes on the bases of these ants' antennae, it came to light that this colony is actually Aphaenogaster treatae. I'd never even heard of this species before, so it's been a nice discovery for me. There are basically no records of people keeping them on this forum, nor is there much info on the rest of the interweb (no surprise there). This journal will aim to change that!

The colony is thriving! I watched Jord laying an egg the other day, and the other brood continue to develop. Two of the larvae have pupated, which is really quick since I woke them up just three weeks ago. I continue feeding these every other day with hemp hearts, dubia roach bits, and a few earwigs I found in my yard. I'm heating them with a heat cable wrapped around their mini-hearth and taped to the front glass.

Wow! I've never seen Aphaenogaster so large! They almost look similar to Novomessor Cockerelli.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#29 Offline OiledOlives - Posted March 16 2022 - 4:31 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

You should see old world Aphaenogaster. 

• Antkeeper01 and AntsCali098 like this

#30 Offline antsriondel - Posted March 16 2022 - 3:41 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I've been looking at Aphaenogaster for a while and have actively searching for the only species in Malaysia, Aphaenogaster feae. Unfortunately, they seem quite rare. I love the genus because of their long legs and interesting queens.

yeah, I agree

#31 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 30 2022 - 8:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-30-22

All is well with this colony. They are gaining new workers, but being such large ants, it takes awhile for them to pupate. I'd say they are around 24 workers now with two pupae darkening at the moment. Their egg pile still has over 20 eggs, I'd say. The book lice population in the mini-hearth is booming, too. I really hope to get these up to 100 workers this season. They're very shy creatures.

IMG 2263
IMG 2264

• T.C., Antkeeper014, Antkeeper01 and 5 others like this

#32 Offline Lamarr - Posted April 26 2022 - 11:28 PM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

They are such calm ants! I am glad to see another fellow treatae keeper on here! Any updates on the colony?

#33 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 27 2022 - 5:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Thank you! I will put one together, but I misplaced my macro lens. The colony is doing very well, but growing slowly.

• TacticalHandleGaming and Dumpling like this

#34 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2022 - 10:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-4-2022

May the fourth be with you! This A. treatae colony continues to do well, but they take their time for everything. There has been a steady stream of new workers eclosing, but several of the first gen nanitics have also started to kick the bucket, so they are staying just under 30 ants at the moment. I made a dumb mistake one night that set them back. When I went to refill their nest mate, one of the workers bolted out. It just happened to be the one that was holding the egg clump! I was able to gather her up again, along with most of the eggs, but some of them were lost unfortunately. Queen Jord has replaced them now, though, so I'm not too concerned.

IMG 2566

• CheetoLord02, Fatatoille, Devi and 5 others like this

#35 Offline Devi - Posted May 4 2022 - 11:45 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I've been eagerly awaiting an update, glad to hear they are doing well!  I love the coloration on treatae, it beautifully contrasts the queen.  I'm surprised they are growing slowly, from what I knew, aphaenogaster grew pretty quickly!  I've been thinking about getting a colony of rudis for a bit, this journal just encourages that, haha.  Best of luck in the future with this colony, I look forward to seeing they grow!

• Dumpling likes this

#36 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 4 2022 - 5:02 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Nice journal so far. Aphaenogaster treatae are definitely top 3 eastern US Aphaenogaster species, and workers can get enormous, upwards of 7mm. Consider yourself lucky to have her.

• AnthonyP163, ANTdrew, Antkeeper014 and 1 other like this

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2022 - 8:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-11-2022

Short update to say that these ants continue to do well. They always have a clump of 20 or more eggs, but they seem to take forever to hatch. Only one or two larvae hatch at a time. I do have a heat cable for them, but they like to keep on the opposite side of it. They are quite messy and have made a a big trash pile in  a corner of their mini-hearth. I look forward to moving them into something cleaner whenever they get a bit bigger in numbers. These are big fans of pre-killed termites.

IMG 2611

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, OiledOlives and 2 others like this

#38 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 27 2022 - 6:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-27-2022

Not really good news to report here, but this colony is suddenly not doing well. At least six workers have turned up dead in the outworld in the past two days. At this point, deaths are outpacing eclosures, so I'm officially concerned for them. I have not fed them anything out of the ordinary beyond feeder crickets and dubias. Some green mold did start growing on the floor of the mini-hearth's outworld last week, so that might be to blame. I will try to get them out of there this weekend. I hope I can turn things around.

#39 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 27 2022 - 7:04 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Hoping that it's no more than the nanitic generation dying off. I'm sure you can get them going again though! 

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2022 - 11:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-23-2022

Things are looking up for this colony. Their mini-hearth got really nasty and even had mold growing in the outworld, so I decided to move this colony into a vacant Inception Chamber I had. Besides looking a lot nicer than the old mini-hearth, the small nest is also inspiring them to dump their trash outside, which is a big improvement! Five or six of their eggs finally hatched, so I'm hoping they can start recovering numbers. The colony still loves hemp hearts and any small insects they can drag back into their nest.

IMG 2959

• CheetoLord02, DDD101DDD, TacticalHandleGaming and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users