• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Field Colony - Aphaenogaster Picea - 09102021

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 10 2021 - 9:01 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I accidently stumbled into a colony of Aphaenogaster Picea today while hiking. I noticed activity in the medium decaying stick and noticed it was a small colony. I had stepped on the stick and realized the colony appears to be within. I decided to collect the stick and try to put into a setup at home. I have now created my first colony setup and outworld and wanted to share the beginning of this journey. I am not 100% if the queen is present but their activity would indicate she is. I have attached some images of the setup and first activity. These are the first images with a new macro lens, so forgive their poor quality.

Attached Images

• Setup.0.jpeg
  • Setup.1.jpeg
  • Setup.2.jpeg
  • Travel.1.jpeg
  • Travel.2.jpeg
  • Eating.1.jpeg
  • Eating.2.jpeg
  • Eating.3.jpeg

• cap_backfire likes this

#2 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 13 2021 - 7:58 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

So the ants started getting brave and found a minor space between the lid and the container. I returned home to 5 escapees and had to collect and return. I have seen where Olive Oil works so I have since lines the top container edges with it. Are there any other recommendations to help with escapees?

Also, this colony now has been here for 3 days now and there is no sign of them attempting to leave their log and move into the formicarium. How can I safely encourage them to move into this new setup? They use the new setup as an outworld instead of potential home. I am using an UndergroundCiti 3 room formicarium for the first time. I also have a red film over the 3 rooms to help make it more inviting as well as have the hidden water spot damp.

#3 Offline antgallery - Posted September 13 2021 - 8:15 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

What I typically do is try and make it as uncomfortable as possible in the place you don't want them to be in. So tear apart their log/stick thing they are nesting in, slowly though so you don't hurt the colony, and try to take out any big pieces of debris they might have in their outworld so they can't hide under them. Then try to make the place you do want them to move into nice and cozy. The reason they probably don't want to move is because even though you gave them a better place to stay than their current nest, it still smells like home, so your gonna just have to make it really uncomfortable and they should move. And also you might want to cut the tubing from their outworld to their formicarium a bit if possible, otherwise they might want to nest in there. Because as ANTdrew says, ants NEVER do what you want them to.

• ANTdrew likes this

#4 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 13 2021 - 8:42 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

What I typically do is try and make it as uncomfortable as possible in the place you don't want them to be in. So tear apart their log/stick thing they are nesting in, slowly though so you don't hurt the colony, and try to take out any big pieces of debris they might have in their outworld so they can't hide under them. Then try to make the place you do want them to move into nice and cozy. The reason they probably don't want to move is because even though you gave them a better place to stay than their current nest, it still smells like home, so your gonna just have to make it really uncomfortable and they should move. And also you might want to cut the tubing from their outworld to their formicarium a bit if possible, otherwise they might want to nest in there. Because as ANTdrew says, ants NEVER do what you want them to.

Yeah I went in and started slowly removing any lose debris or large chunks I could tonight. I will swap to a super short tube tomorrow and make the move easier. It was fun watching them move food between habitats but at this point they arent big enough for two and should use this one. Ill give it a go and update once progress has been made. Thanks

Also, I want to note I probably have the wrong ID on these. I will update this post name once I have some good pictures and a proper ID. 

Edited by DarkCerebral, September 13 2021 - 8:45 PM.

#5 Offline DarkCerebral - Posted September 28 2021 - 7:16 PM

DarkCerebral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

The colony finally moved after a few days of encouragement. I thought I had collected the colony without the queen and was slightly sad about this mistake. Today I was feeding them and replacing the water when I noticed a group surrounding what appears to be a fresh clump of eggs around the humidity hydration port. I have 2 Aphaenogaster fulva colonies and expected this queen would be equally as easy to see. Is it possible the workers are hiding her so well? There are roughly 200+ workers I would say all grouped in the same humidity chamber.

The picture shows the fresh cluster of eggs as well as some of the ants. They have now been in captivity for almost 4 weeks, so I wouldn't think these are from collection. If any ideas on species correction please advise.

Attached Images

• 09282021.0.jpeg

• Chickalo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users