• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Washington State!

wa myrmecocystus testaceus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Data - Posted September 10 2021 - 5:12 PM

Data

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOlympia, WA
Howdy all, relatively new to ant keeping though I’ve had a decent first year collecting.

Over the last year I have acquired a P. occidentalis and F. subsericea colony from Tar Heel, and collected a few Camponotus, Lasius, Tetramorium, and Tapinoma queens over the last few months. I have a dissecting scope and a handful of guides with keys for identification though I will probably post some pictures of my catches here eventually for confirmation.

Anyways I am curious to know if there is any kind of ant community in WA to trade info or catches with! I live on the west side of the Cascades, and unfortunately I had no luck this year on my expeditions to the east side looking for Myrmecocystus testaceous queens, even with existing colonies being all over the place.

I believe that I jumped the gun on the nuptial flights for this species, so if anyone can provide any tips for when to find them this far north, or has any for sale, i would appreciate the assistance!

Thanks for having me everyone
  • TacticalHandleGaming, azzaaazzzz00, AntBoi3030 and 2 others like this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 10 2021 - 8:33 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Welcome to the forum!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 11 2021 - 3:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 11 2021 - 11:23 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Welcome! I never see any active members from Washington on here, unfortunately.

#5 Offline GRIMM_OwO_ - Posted February 25 2022 - 5:07 PM

GRIMM_OwO_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Locationseattle wa

I'm from WA lol 

#6 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 25 2022 - 5:32 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Never mind forget I said anything.

Edited by ColAnt735, February 25 2022 - 5:33 PM.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#7 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 26 2022 - 5:44 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

welcome!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wa, myrmecocystus, testaceus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users